MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently had a 2GR swap done to my 1991 Turbo and there is a weird squeal like sound coming from clutch/transmission. The noise only happens when I am releasing the clutch. It's worth noting that, as part of the swap, the clutch was replaced (Clutchmasters) and the Flywheel (Frankenstein steel) and new APR bolts, and new transmission fluid.

I will try and upload a video that may help but there are two issues I am noticing. First, there is that noise everytime I release the clutch in first or reverse at a stop. The noise does not come back when I am in motion and shifting up or down the gears. It is only when I am at a stop and shifting into first or reverse. Noise only occurs while I am releasing the clutch.

The second issue is that shifting from first into second gear requires more effort than any other gear change. Shifting down from third into second is easy and all other upshifts and downshifts are smooth and easy. But shifting up into second gear at higher RPM is requiring a much slower shift.

If you have had a similar experience and have any suggestions or advice, please let me know. Thanks!

· Registered
2,188 Posts
In general if you have trouble shifting into one gear but not any other gear then the probable cause is the syncro components for that gear. The syncro has a collar that slips onto a cone to match speed. If there is not enough bite, it will take longer. On second gear specifically this is known as the "second gear lockout." It's possible that changing to a different gear oil with different friction qualities might help this. Worth a try before removing and disassembling the trans for rebuild.

· Registered
8,057 Posts
You didn’t mention what fluid you are trimming. Try Redline LWSP and see if it solves your issue. Might also to tell what mods are done to shift linkage as this can effect trans engagement.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn’t mention what fluid you are trimming. Try Redline LWSP and see if it solves your issue. Might also to tell what mods are done to shift linkage as this can effect trans engagement.
Good point. The transmission fluid is Redline MTL. Is this different than the LWSP you mentioned? The shop recommended the MTL so that's what we went with. No modifications done to the linkage. It is worth noting, the throwout bearing was replaced too. So new clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing. I realized the video didn't sound very clear. So I'm going to attach the link for one more that has better audio on the noise.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_Qioyd5_g-8?feature=share

Thanks for the responses so far.

PB

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MTL is a great gear oil. LWSP has some different friction properties that help with worn out syncros. It's like it has little nano-smurfs with suction cups swimming around and making the cone grip the collar faster.
I have been doing some searching on the forum and it seems like a lot of people have had good experiences with LWSP but all those threads I found were roughly 7-8 years ago. Is LWSP still the recommended alternative to MTL? With MTL, I had no grinds, just the noises in the video and the slightly tougher shift from 1st to 2nd. It sounds like the synchros do well with LWSP so maybe that will help with that 1->2 shift. Anyone have any bad experiences with LWSP?

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What shifter are you using? the fidanza one and the replicas are absolute trash. Your cables could also be out of adjustment.
It's the stock shifter assembly. The only thing I added was a weighted shift knob, though the noises and shift from 1st to 2nd were already present before changing the shift knob. I will have to look into the cables. If they are out of adjustment, do you think that would be linked to the noises when releasing the clutch, the tougher shift from 1st to 2nd, or both?

Thanks!

· Registered
8,057 Posts
If your running MTL I doubt the fluid will be the issue. LWSP is better IMO but it won't solve your problem.
I'd focus on the shift cables, bushes and adjustments. Make sure you are getting proper engagement with all gears through the linkage before looking elsewhere.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your running MTL I doubt the fluid will be the issue. LWSP is better IMO but it won't solve your problem.
I'd focus on the shift cables, bushes and adjustments. Make sure you are getting proper engagement with all gears through the linkage before looking elsewhere.
Ok, I need to do some research on how to adjust/check the shift cables. As far as the bushes that need to be replaced, which bushes are you referring to? I know there is a square bushing, but I need to do more research on which bushes do what, and which need replacing.

· Registered
415 Posts
It's the stock shifter assembly. The only thing I added was a weighted shift knob, though the noises and shift from 1st to 2nd were already present before changing the shift knob. I will have to look into the cables. If they are out of adjustment, do you think that would be linked to the noises when releasing the clutch, the tougher shift from 1st to 2nd, or both?

Thanks!
The noise definitely sounds clutch related. It only happens when you release the clutch, or is it always present.

Cables out of adjustment can cause a hard 1-2 shift.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The noise definitely sounds clutch related. It only happens when you release the clutch, or is it always present.

Cables out of adjustment can cause a hard 1-2 shift.
Ok, that's good to know. Yeah the noise is only happening when releasing the clutch from a standstill. If the car is moving and I shift, no noise. But if I'm at a stop and release the clutch from any gear, I get that screech/whining sound.

Are the adjustments to the cable done from in the cabin with the center console removed or do I need to jack the car up and do it from underneath?

· Registered
8,057 Posts
If gears are not fully engaged it will make noises when placed under load or clutch released. Best to either place rest of car on ramps or jack up LHS to access shift cables & levers. The square bush is one to inspect but each cable has a rubber bush on end of eye. Most people replace with solid brass or a bearing. Check all the components and how easy everything moves. From memory you can adjust cables to ensure full engagement of gears. Have someone up top go through gears while you watch underneath. Your problem should be fairly obvious given the symptoms.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If gears are not fully engaged it will make noises when placed under load or clutch released. Best to either place rest of car on ramps or jack up LHS to access shift cables & levers. The square bush is one to inspect but each cable has a rubber bush on end of eye. Most people replace with solid brass or a bearing. Check all the components and how easy everything moves. From memory you can adjust cables to ensure full engagement of gears. Have someone up top go through gears while you watch underneath. Your problem should be fairly obvious given the symptoms.
That makes sense. Thank you for the advice!

· Registered
1991 MR2 SW20
26 Posts
I had a similar noise in an old Porsche 911. I'd come to stop, place the car in neutral, release the clutch, and the noise was present. As I engaged the clutch to put it in first gear and each subsequent gear, the noise would disappear. It was barely audible cruising down the road.
I replaced the normal appearing clutch disc and pressure plate along with a new throw out bearing. Fixed the issue.

I don't know if that would apply in this situation.

Best of luck.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a similar noise in an old Porsche 911. I'd come to stop, place the car in neutral, release the clutch, and the noise was present. As I engaged the clutch to put it in first gear and each subsequent gear, the noise would disappear. It was barely audible cruising down the road.
I replaced the normal appearing clutch disc and pressure plate along with a new throw out bearing. Fixed the issue.

I don't know if that would apply in this situation.

Best of luck.
I think it's worth a try! Thank you!

Also, what year 911 did you have? Love those cars!

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update for anyone who may have experienced the same noises. It ended up being a defective clutch. I've put on about 100 miles since it was replaced and all the noises are gone.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts