MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be my frist time dealing with a dyno. When they starp it on to the dyno, do I get to sit in the drivers seat and accelerate or is that someone elses job? Does it take along time to get the car onto and strapped down to a dyno (I think its the roller-styled dyno not a dynapack where the wheels are removed)?

I am getting 3 pulls and a 30 minute time slot for 45 with this group deal. I think its a good price but Im a newbie.

What kind of HP/TQ numbers should I expect with my mods : hks exhuast 2.5", k&n intake kit, nology hot wires, BKR7E copper plugs, boost controller set at 16 or 17 psi ? I am guessing around the 200 hp mark IF I am lucky.

I have 18x8 inch 26 pound wheels in the rear, will that affect my HP/TQ numbers? (heavy wheels!)

Thanks alot, I am new to the dyno thing and have only had my 2 for 6 months so Im still learning alot of stuff. Thanks

jason

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
as far as the driving part of your question-that would depend on the kind of dyno.
dynojets usual have one of thier guys "drive" it
mustang dynos let the owners of the car do it

not real sure about the wheel part of it, im sure someone can get on here and answer that for you though.

garrett

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Garrett, Ive NEVER been to a dyno where they let you drive your own car on the dyno and Ive been to quite a few. Maybe your guys are just nicer, but I can really see insurance companies not liking that. Sleepin-MR2, the main thing is to not have any expectations. 95% of people come away disappointed from the dyno. The expectation of 200rwhp is very accurate but I would not expect much more. Thats the best way to go home happy and not feel like you wasted $45.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i would probably expect 200-205rwhp with those mods.
it take 10-15 mins to set up the dyno. all be done in 1/2 hr
good luck mate

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
good advice 93smg... im getting ready to fuel tune and dyno my car, too. im not expecting big numbers either. i'd rather be suprised than disappointed.

as for the wheel question... im not too sure if thatll affect hp/tq. to my understanding, heavier wheels affect acceleration because of the larger rolling mass? i dunno.. im like, newb to the second degree.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
93smg-ill have mr2biker91 post in this if youd like, i watched one of his friends dyno his own supra.
there was an event in greensboro and they had a mustang dyno there and all the owners did their own car if they wanted. i mean, its a mustang dyno, anyone could do it (slowly go to 30 and then when they tell you to just punch it til you hit 120)
ive also had a friend with a turbo crx that drove his on car on the dyno, never met the operators before in his life, another mustang dyno.
as far as dynojets-never heard of anyone doing their own, youre right.

mr2xtheelements-what kind of fuel tuning are you going to be doing?

garrett

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
xxxboosted2xxx said:
mr2xtheelements-what kind of fuel tuning are you going to be doing?

garrett
well, i have a supra fuel pump and 550cc injectors. i think im running really rich and my cars performance is suffering from that. it sometimes bogs ((could be from too much fuel??)). i just bought safc and fpr to help lean it out a little i guess. im not too sure on the details. im gonna have a shop called factor x have a look at it and see waht needs to be done from there. is there any advice u would like to share for tuning?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
one thing that hasn't been mentioned:

expect to sign a waiver saying "A dyno will put your car under more stress than normal road conditions. If your car blows up, its not our fault, you assume all responsibility for repairs."

I would not turn the boost beyond what you run on the street. If you still have the stock IC, I'd expect you may see the ECU pulling timing back at high RPM's if your turbo is able to maintain the full 16-17psi boost. Thats what I found on mine... but I have a TD06.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
well.. street driving im around 10lbs.. when i race i up to about 14ish. surely a dyno pull is not as stressful as back to back runs down the track is it?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replys guys! I really dont think I will be behind the wheel so ya. I am excited non the less. I have always wondered what I was putting down.

What I heard about rotating mass (wheel weight) :

for every 10 pounds you take off of your rotating mass (per wheel/tire I think) is equal to 100 pounds less weight on your car while your accelerating. So 4 new wheels/tires that weigh 10 pounds less each would take off 400 pounds of extra weight while accelerating.

For every 100 pounds you take out of the car you lose .1 second off your quarter mile time.

I think I will turn the boost down to 16 PSI because I dont want my intercooler to heat soak on the dyno and mess up my hp/tq numbers.

I didn't know about that waiver that you have to sign. That sucks! I hope my car doesn't break!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
The wheel weight will definitely hurt torque, but so will the overall tire diameter if it is larger than stock. When I switch from the stock 15's with 225's at 23.8" diameter to my other wheels which are 16" with 245's at 24.6" I can feel the difference in power very easily. Overall weight only increased ~2lbs so it must be the larger diameter affecting the overall gear ratio. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
sleepin-mr2 said:
What I heard about rotating mass (wheel weight) :

for every 10 pounds you take off of your rotating mass (per wheel/tire I think) is equal to 100 pounds less weight on your car while your accelerating. So 4 new wheels/tires that weigh 10 pounds less each would take off 400 pounds of extra weight while accelerating.

!
I'm very interested in that myself but have not been able to find anything that is definitive in explaining the ratio or impact. I'm about ready to chop off 5.5lbs per corner with wheels. Good luck with your dyno and enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i have driven my own car on a dynojet, but i knew the operator and his boss left, but the boss let my friend's 900rwhp supra drive the car on the dyno, then again, the boss was too scared to drive a car that rips the tires loose on a dyno

1 - 13 of 13 Posts