MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I juss got my car tuned up on a dyno. It is a completely stock 91 turbo mr2 running 17 psi. When I brought the car in it was putting down 140 hp and 210 ft/lbs. After some minor tuning (re-gap spark plugs) the car put down 170 hp and about 212 ft/lbs the afr was 10.2 straight across. After a little more tuning playing with the air meter and advaning the timing a little bit we got it to lean out just a little bit and the car putdown 187 hp and 226 ft/lbs(red run). Why is my car running so darn rich, any help and feedback is appreciated.
If someone could host the dyno graph that would be great, I have no clue how to put pictures in to posts. Thanks!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can host the picture for you if you want. Just email it to [email protected]
As for your AFR being so rich, is this only under boost? The stock ECU always runs the engine VERY rich under boost. Once the dyno plot is available, it should be possible to say more.

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
looks pretty good for 100% stock most dyno 160-170 WHP stock.
Like Armstrong says the ecu will run you way rich even upward of around 260WHP. the ecu is just making it safe to drive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You gained 47 RWHP on a stock car just by "tuning"? I didnt even know that was possible. If that's what really happened, then all you stockers out there oughta be running to the dyno. Maybe this car was just in bad shape to being with, but then, so could yours, you never know! That's an insane increase for a car that has no real way of tuning anything. You didnt even mess with the boost! Id be happy!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah... he was low for 17 psi, but I think my point was that others might be in the same boat. Notice he didnt add any new parts, not even new plugs... just regapped the old ones. If he gained 47, who else out there might have 50 free HP just waiting to be unconvered?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
BigMike253 said:
so is my rich a/f ratio early in the powerband normal for an Mr2??
very normal. it will be rich from 3k all the way to redline with the stock turbo
even with an upgraded turbo it will be off the chart rich until 6.5K

max Safe HP on stock 440s is around 250-260WHP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts