MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Autozone today to get a new coolant overflow bottle. The one from the '86 leaked out of the bottom even though I couldn't find any cracks. Put the one from the '85 in 3 weeks ago and was fine. Now it leaks out of the bottom even though I couldn't find any cracks. Got on of the universal tanks. Kid went outside with me so I could make sure there was enough room for the larger model. There is. Kid first asked what kind of car it is before we walked outside. As I reached inside to pop the engine cover, I noticed he walked toward the front of the car like the motor was up there. I should have messed with him. As I lifted the engine cover he was shocked that the engine was in the front. When I worked at an autoparts store years ago, everyone else that worked there was into cars, a lot. What is wrong with kids at autoparts stores these days?

·
Registered
217 Posts
hate autozone...the advanced auto is right across the street here and that's where I go...either than or NAPA for the really out there stuff. Autozone seems to be trying to imitate Pepboys nowadays, basically they have hardly anyone that knows a damn thing about cars, and stock mainly cold air intakes for hondas and a full lineup of spectre accessories that are way overpriced.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
HAHA, i am still employed at advance auto, but never get scheduled. I have a better full time job. However, it was funny at times. Its alot of "********" around where I live, I keep making people scratch their head when I open my hood. And asked one of the kids even younger than me to change the battery... he was like HUH... lol

I dont know why they would work their and not have the passion and knowledge, but its funny to see!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya, Autozone, in my opinion, is more for the "ricer" croud. Around where I live its either Kragen or NAPA. The people at the Kragen near my house know a lot about their stuff, it also helps that one of the guys who works there is in love with the MR2. Than there is NAPA for the harder to find OE stuff. I love NAPA :-D

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason I went was to get the overflow bottle. Most Oreilly gys aren't much better. It was HiLo when I worked there in 1992-1993 and everyone of us was some kind of grease monkey. Napa is way on the other end of town from me. It takes about 30 minutes to get there because of traffic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was at Checker a few weeks back getting something (I think it was an o2 sensor) I told him it was for an '87 MR2. He said "ummm, that's a Mitsubitchy right?" I was like no, it's a Toyota.

I've had worse and worse luck with Checker lately, they used to be good and had people who knew cars. Now they won't even hire me, because I don't have sales experience. Which is a load of crap, I know more about cars and customer service than all their employees combined. </rant> Anyways, I go to CarQuest now, their people didn't look at me like I was stupid when I asked for PlastiGage.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
ewaustin said:
I was at Checker a few weeks back getting something (I think it was an o2 sensor) I told him it was for an '87 MR2. He said "ummm, that's a Mitsubitchy right?" I was like no, it's a Toyota.

I've had worse and worse luck with Checker lately, they used to be good and had people who knew cars. Now they won't even hire me, because I don't have sales experience. Which is a load of crap, I know more about cars and customer service than all their employees combined. </rant> Anyways, I go to CarQuest now, their people didn't look at me like I was stupid when I asked for PlastiGage.
well, i'm a CSK employee (schucks). i will admit that there are quite a few people who know nothing.... but 99% of the mr2 (or even toyota owners) who come in asking for parts know less about these cars than i do (and hell, i've had mr2 owners coming in ASKING me to do swaps for them).

you just gotta find a store that has people that know what they're talking about.

my customer service sucks, though, because after almost 2 years i'm sick of ignorant customers

·
Registered
200 Posts
The thing you have to remember about the Zone and Advance(and most other parts stores) is they get the cheapest help they can get. Would you work for min wage and have high level of knowledge? I don't think so. So if you can push the "F" buttons and use a mouse you are qualified to work in a parts store. They count on them learning OJT.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
a thumbs up for advance auto, their parts are cheaper and some relly nice people that like to help you out, and know alot about cars, i go thair so much for VW rabbit parts i get 10% just for getting to be freinds with the guys that work their.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I like the Autozone in my area and it is the only place I go to and the people who work there provide excellent service... To each his own I guess.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
i only go to carquest and napa in my area. kragen and autozone employees are a bunch of airheads. i know the guys at napa well, and they are pretty cool about giving me "student discounts". the carquest guys are a little rude, but they have an awesome machine shop (these guys know their toyota stuff!) and if you having machine work done, they become instantly cool to ya....

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
daniel_gabriel said:
Autozone around here is only good because they will check your OBD-II codes for free.
That is one good reason. About a mile off my commute is one of their 24 hour stores. I go there at 4:30 AM sometimes. (My work day starts at 0530) Even when there is no other customers in the store, I find it difficult to get help at the counter :looser:

When I go there I usually have found what I need on their web site and have called to make sure it's there. I find it is easier to just give them a slip of paper with the part # on it and have them bring it to the counter.

Autozone.com is actually pretty good and you can make a profile with your different vehicles. I have 5 or so on mine.

NAPA RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a Checker auto parts down the street. The reason I go
there is because the day time girl is HOT and she's the only
one who knows anything there. I walk in and grab what I need.
If I have to have anything looked up, I look for her. Everyone else is like,"MR2? is that a mazda?"

·
Registered
487 Posts
i had to ask 2 or 3 employees at PepBoys to find a switch (not a specific one, just a switch).
Sears is worse, they drained my battery when doing an alignment then the guy who rolled up with a battery to jumpstart it shocked himself before getting even close to the car..

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've had nothing but bad luck with Autozone service. I don't know if it's so much a lack of knowledge as it is a lack of bodies to get parts off the shelves and answer questions about hubcaps. It probably doesn't help that I'm always stuck behind some family with 20 kids looking for a part (they don't know which), for a car that they don't even know the make/model/year of.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Deviate_3S said:
I'm always stuck behind some family with 20 kids looking for a part (they don't know which), for a car that they don't even know the make/model/year of.
Ha ha! I figured you were in Texas! Oh how I know the feeling. That is why I can just bear going in there at 4:30AM....the place is empty. Lots of parking too since all the junkers arn't in the lot being overhauled.

John

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had to have my battery checked at autozone once... an old guy looked at my fuel cell (water for a2w IC) and said "is that a winkle engine" i was like... i hope you're joking.

PS: winkle engine = rotary

1 - 20 of 38 Posts