MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am still working on building my car and have a dilemma. I am aiming for over 400 rwhp and dont want to use a single sidemount ic because it will restrict flow and not cool as well as I will need. I was thinking trunk mount but my exhaust exits where the liscense plate was so the trunk has been modified and would be too difficult to make it and have it be efficient.
my plan: Using 2 spearco ic's (6"x6"x12"), one in each sidemount locaton. Having the turbo exit expand to a Y pipe into two 2.25 inch pipes into the ics and two 2.5 inch pipes that will come back into one 3.5" or 4" inch throttle body into a custom straight runner intake manifold. I plan on running 25 psi or so at the track and dont want to deal with any heat soak. What do you guys think.

current related mods: 272/264 cams, 1mm oversized valves, TTE 1.4 mm hg, eagle rods, cp pistons, ferrai valve springs w/ tit. retainers, shimless bucket conversion, 3.5 inch exhaust, 83 lb injectors w/top feed rail, supra tt fpump) Turbo will most likely be an S200)

·
Premium Member
13,222 Posts
The theory seems sound. The piping complexity and the expense of it might make it not really worth it, but it should cool well and be tough to heatsoak.

Something else you may want to look into is a topmount on the drivers side. There really is a lot of space over there once you have the AFM out of there.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont mind making the piping or the cost of parts, It would be even more work making an efficient trunk mount. I am not too fond the the top mount due to lack of air flow. My main concern with the dual setup is extra pressure drop from 2 cores and/or flow disruption from the 2 Y connections.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As an alternative, why not consider a watercooled setup? Heck, a decent A2W setup should be good for over 600WHP.

Or another option is to have a watercooled IC integrated into the intake plenum, and then add a regular A2A sidemount if you still need extra cooling.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i have a core available with out end tanks , stock spearco 2-230 cores. ( the dual )
maybe a nice buy for a manifold I/C project ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sflmr2-I wanted to stay away from air-water cooled because it will put me in a drag racing class that I will get whooped in, otherwise I would be going that route.

turbopepe- I actually have a few extra cores in my shop, but thanks anyway

·
Premium Member
13,222 Posts
themr2man said:
I dont mind making the piping or the cost of parts, It would be even more work making an efficient trunk mount. I am not too fond the the top mount due to lack of air flow. My main concern with the dual setup is extra pressure drop from 2 cores and/or flow disruption from the 2 Y connections.
Well, it seems to me that its possible (im not sure on this however) that flow in this sence might tend to follow the same rules as electricity, that is, they would act like resistances in parallel, and therefore would add as one over the sum of the inverse of each resistance, effectivly giving you half the pressure drop of a single sidemount.

Now, I don't know for sure if airflow works in this way, but logically I don't see why it wouldnt, atleast approximately. Now, whatever gain you get from running two parallel cores might be lost by your two Y connections, but atleast you should be back where you started.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Yes, fluid flow works exactly like electrical current flow.

2 ICs in parallel will reduce the resistance and increase flow.

2 ICs in series will increase resistance and reduce airflow.

bill

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
billwot said:
Yes, fluid flow works exactly like electrical current flow.

2 ICs in parallel will reduce the resistance and increase flow.

2 ICs in series will increase resistance and reduce airflow.

bill
While this seems accurate, would anyone find any concern with pressure drop from the increased volume of piping and cores?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have decided to go forward with this, thanks for the input. The piping wont be too long when compared to a car with a front mount, especially when compared those sts rear mount turbo kits! I will post pics when this is all complete. I just purchased a 90 mm throttle body, and am currently working on the intake manifold, once that is complete then I will make the intercooler(s?) kit :) . This is going to look awsome :evillaugh

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
sflmr2 said:
While this seems accurate, would anyone find any concern with pressure drop from the increased volume of piping and cores?
Once again, parallel circuits reduce presure drop, and series circuits increse pressure drop.

And 2 ICs in series are far less "efficient" in terms of ability to shed heat than 2 ICs in parallel.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Another advantage of running in parallel is that because of the increased cross section, the air velocity will be lower, meaning air will be spending more time in the core being cooled.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
themr2man

I was contemplating this also.
I don't want to loose my trunk and also didn't want to go the route air to water.

Currently I'm running the standard spearco kit. I would like to replicate the type of core and tanks on the driver side. Are the cores you using similar to the one used in my kit?

·
Registered
462 Posts
the only real problem i could see with that project is that the air probably would tend to flow better through one of the ic's (because of the Y setup), resulting in one that remains cool and another that gets hotter relatively quicker

The difference in flow probably wouldn't be significant enough to cause one of them to heatsoak, though. so it likely won't be a problem.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am using the same exact cores that are used in the Spearco sidemount kit, and our own kit. We will be making custom end tanks for my kit. Each side vent will be shrouded with a spal fan on each ic and full custom aluminum piping.
spikeman- the drivers side will most likely flow a little better, but the piping length will be almost equal. I cant see it being an issue. The temperature difference from each ic will be eliminated at the 2nd Y connection.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
the only problem I could tkink of is that there is a the gas filler line and a cooland hard line routed over in the drivers side vent. Nothing that couldn't be manipulated somehow.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Mmmmm. You just put an idea in my head. The pressure drop is my biggest concern, but it seems like it would work great! My idea is this. Put 2 stock Toyota throttle body's on and run them on a modified intake manifold. That would be an awsome breathing design and the possibility for a ton of HP. Just throwing out ideas. I'm for it. Some of the fastest supra's use HUGE 4 and 5 inch thick FM cores with a 5+psi pressure drop and pull it off. Go for it! I would just go with a couple berk cores since they are cheaper and would support more than enough power, plus less pressure drop. The fan is almost as important on a smic as the intercooler and the Berks fan is AWSOME!

Brian

A little advertising for Berk Technologies! :thumbup

1 - 20 of 44 Posts