MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the UK and in the middle of an electric conversion on a 1991 G Limited mk2.

The motor I have is a 12" 72v motor from an old milk float.
The build thread is here. Look at post 344 onwards:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/woodys-ev-project-34774p35.html

Video of the motor:

Wooden mock up:

The problem, aside from the tight fit, is that the CV joint won't fit anymore.

Does anyone know of any tripot/tripod type CV joints that would fit in the MR2 diff that is only 3" diameter? Even better if it fitted the shaft too!

I could have one made but it would be costly whereas if someone knew of one that was off, say, another Toyota model then that would save a lot of expense and make replacement easier should I break it. :smile:

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
you could use the axle shaft from celica. i believe some of those had an intermediate shaft that held in by an axle bearing bracket like on the 3SGTE models. that would clear what ur trying to do for the S54 transmission u are using.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.
My worry about using the standard MR2 Turbo two piece shaft is that the CV joint is still too big to clear the motor and the motor too long to move the joint further outboard.

Is the Celica CV smaller?

I will need to find one to measure I think.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
it might be. i never really taken measurements. here in the US. our Celica GTs had the 5SFE motor. and those used the S54 trans like what u have there. and it used an intermediate shaft or i think at least an axle that had bearing on the shaft that then bolted to an axle carrier bracket on the block.

it looks similar to this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good, thanks again.

I think to be sure I will need to measure one. If it is more then 3" diameter then I could end up stressing the shaft with it at a slight angle to clear the motor.

Unfortunately the motor stays at 12" diameter for all its 19" length and the shaft may not be long enough to clear the end of it either and still leave enough flexible shaft to work properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts