MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Damn that sucks...and I know your pain... someone backed into my front left bumper/fender and I've still yet to find replacements. Looking at it, it's a tough call, but a good body shop may be able to repair it. You'll have to buy a used/new latch though. All in all, another door MIGHT be cheaper.

Reactions: count_obutsu

·
Administrator
5,747 Posts
If it's metal, a decent body shop should be able to reshape it and fill in any warped lines, shouldn't be too much of an issue. But anything plastic that's damaged (like the door handle and possibly the beltline) will more than likely need full replacement.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Find a new door the inside is going to be all messed up. It will be easier and cheaper in the long run to get a new door. You could also probably part out all the parts on your door to get back some money and help others who need parts. You always try to avoid body fill and body work if you can to ensure a better finish.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
It would be less expensive to replace with a new door. I'd at least get a quote. They can pull the dent and repair with body filler as needed. hopefully there is not internal damage. You'd have to source a new exterior handle bezel. The cars value will be higher if it retains the original metal.

·
Administrator
5,747 Posts
Of course, a new(er) door is always the way to go, but finding one that's local and in good shape for a decent price ain't as easy as writing it down in a 3 second post. I'm not so sure a replacement door is less expensive, that might be true only if you can source one locally. Shipping just the weight of a toothpick is very expensive these days and even finding a door locally for a 30 year old niche car is getting difficult.

IMO, this damage looks fixable - not only rather quickly, - but in a cost effective manner. Check w/ your body guy first to confirm, it's difficult to be sure with only one pic. Not saying you shouldn't try sourcing another door, but that might be many months away and may eventually cost triple the repair w/ shipping or travel costs thrown in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out “Paintless Dent Repair” or “PDR” on YouTube. There are some true craftsmen out there that can do wonders at a price point that you’ll be happy with. Trust me, new car dealerships use these guys ALL THE TIME! High end cars, exotics, domestic and imports - they all use PDR, especially after a hail storm. Best wishes but, hang in there - help is nearby. Don’t let a body shop grind away and slap filler on it before you meet with a PDR guy or gal. If you can’t find someone local - ask the dealerships.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts