MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any ideas why my interior dome light does not come on when I open the door?
It will work from the switch and the door buzzer as well as the light by the ignition work fine. I would assume they are all on the same switch.

thanks,

Mark

86 n/a

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, like I said it works fine from the switch on the light just not when you open the door but the other light by the ignition switch does turn on and off when the door is opened.

So, like you I am lost as to why.

Mark

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
there are three settings on the switch. Make sure yours is set to the middle one.

Then report back to us. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kbox said:
there are three settings on the switch. Make sure yours is set to the middle one.

Then report back to us. ;)
I just went and double checked. The "DOOR" position is not the middle one it is the opposite end one. Be that as it may it doesn't work in either position other than "ON". :mad: grrr!!

I wish you were right and I simply had a brain fart about the switch. That would have made life so much easier. I guess my next thing to do would be to take down the light and see if the switch is just dirty/worn.

Mark

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
Maybe this is a common failure. My 88 is the same way. It works in the ON position but not when the door opens on either of the other 2 positions.

John

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You've got a corroded wire leading to the switch. yes, it's common.

You'll need to remove the lower side panel behind the seat. Unplug the single wire switch. Take off the rubber cap over the switch. Be careful since this is probably getting a bit dry and brittle. Take a socket (I forget the size offhand) and remove the switch. There isn't a lot to grip onto, so try not to round it off. You'llikely find pretty massive corrosion and maybe disconnection right near where the wire is crimped onto the switch assembly. SPlice in new wire.

If grounds to the chassis, so if you try it out before final install, you'll have to figure out a way to ground it.

Mine did this for a while and eventually quit. When I tore apart my car, i found the cause. When i rebuilt my chassis, I got them to work again. Good luck.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
WIWhite87 said:
You've got a corroded wire leading to the switch. yes, it's common.

You'll need to remove the lower side panel behind the seat. Unplug the single wire switch. Take off the rubber cap over the switch. Be careful since this is probably getting a bit dry and brittle. Take a socket (I forget the size offhand) and remove the switch. There isn't a lot to grip onto, so try not to round it off. You'llikely find pretty massive corrosion and maybe disconnection right near where the wire is crimped onto the switch assembly. SPlice in new wire.

If grounds to the chassis, so if you try it out before final install, you'll have to figure out a way to ground it.

Mine did this for a while and eventually quit. When I tore apart my car, i found the cause. When i rebuilt my chassis, I got them to work again. Good luck.
Interesting. Which seat ? Where exactly is the switch located ?

John

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think he is talking about the door switch, the one that the door presses when shut. It's at the bottom of the door frame, next to the vent grill.
Open your door while sitting in the car and look in the direction of your rear left tire. You can't miss it. It has a rubber cover around it.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
With mine, the door switch must be working because the little ignition light works when the door is open, so it must be something else.

John

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
daniel_gabriel said:
It's possible the switch has more than one wire attached to it, and only one of them corroded - the one that switchs on the dome light.
Nope, I checked the switch this morning and it only has one wire coming out of it. So it must be something else since like I said earlier the light by the ignition switch does work as does the door buzzer.

Mark

·
Registered
386 Posts
In that case I would break out the ohmmeter and go on a wire checking frenzy. I'm sure there other wires that may have questionable contact that you are not aware of, so now would be a good time to replace those as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
seems helpful, i have a very similar problem. my driver side door does not turn the light on when opened but my passenger door does turn the light on.... i will check the switch either tomorrow or maybe this weekend

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
mikeym said:
if anyone beats this i have the same problem too

~mikeym
I finally figured it out and fixed it!!!!

You have to pop off the dome light lens and then remove the 4 screws that secure the light unit. Then unplug the light from the socket. The contact on the dome light itself was broken at the rivet. So the metal that plugs into the socket was not making contact with the circuit trace to the light bulb. All I needed to do was solder a jumper wire from the metal that plugs into the socket over to the metal that connects the switch to the bulb. Now it works exactly as it should. :thumbup

The other option would have been to replace the entire dome light assembly but I am too cheap and rather fix it myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts