MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having trouble doing this test, what percent of leak is good??

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
CRAP! i got #4 down to 20psi and i cant get number 3 lower than 50. i have got to be doing something wrong, or my engine is toast! i opened the oil filller cap and can feel air coming out...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was at first, but then i put it in gear so that it wouldnt. saidly i just got the same results. any tips? could it be something im doing wrong or is my engine toasted?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
im using a single gauge snap on one. im putting each cylinder to tdc everytime. its hard to see on the crank pulley where the notch is, but yes im putting each one to tdc. while having cylinder #1 at tdc and getting 20% loss i opened the oil cap and smoke came out, not sure what that means

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Then nevermind. Even if the valves are open, and you are getting smoke out the oil cap, you have too much cylinder leakage. As a general rule, you have to carefully listen through the oil cap to even hear air leaking past the rings.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, so is it safe to say that i need new rings? lol this is gonna be expensive. thanks for your help byron, any suggestions on what to do for an engine?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I think I agree with your diagnosis now. It will be expensive, but not as expensive if you had rebuilt the head, and then had to go back and rebuild the block. :thumbup

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Byron said:
Then nevermind. Even if the valves are open, and you are getting smoke out the oil cap, you have too much cylinder leakage. As a general rule, you have to carefully listen through the oil cap to even hear air leaking past the rings.
Sorry, I thought about it again. You could have easily had the intake valve open and blowing air into the crankcase through the PCV hose.

Try again and make sure you have TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed). The rotor should be pointing to the plug wire terminal of the cylinder you are testing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts