MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Conor said:
Good lord. Why.

Typical muscle car/old school car guy crap. They think of cars with $1000 drag slicks and wheelie bars as "street legal" as long as there's no parachute. And sometimes they have parachutes anyway. Driving a car on the street does not = street legal or streetable.

It's a neat weirdo hybrid track car, at least :)
I know for a fact that it's not possible in California, since you guys need all those stupid carb stickers/paper work for any type of modification. But in Oregon you only need to meet the noise/emissions/have a cat and you are good to go. No one ever does a engine visual, nor do they seem to care.

Heck I daily drive my MR2 with the roof mounted intercooler and have never been pulled over. I even drove next to a cop once and he gave me the thumbs up. ;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Conor said:
Good lord. Why.

Typical muscle car/old school car guy crap. They think of cars with $1000 drag slicks and wheelie bars as "street legal" as long as there's no parachute. And sometimes they have parachutes anyway. Driving a car on the street does not = street legal or streetable.

It's a neat weirdo hybrid track car, at least :)
Looks street legal for Kentucky!
As long as it's got a vin, turn signals, a horn, and headlights, they'll register it.
No emissions testing to speak of.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
LordLo said:
I know for a fact that it's not possible in California, since you guys need all those stupid carb stickers/paper work for any type of modification. But in Oregon you only need to meet the noise/emissions/have a cat and you are good to go. No one ever does a engine visual, nor do they seem to care.

Heck I daily drive my MR2 with the roof mounted intercooler and have never been pulled over. I even drove next to a cop once and he gave me the thumbs up. ;)
While it's not probable that the car in question would be CA legal, it's very possible. As long as the engine is either the same year or newer than the car, any engine can go in to any car, as long as the engine was offered here in the states. The car would still be registered as an 88 Toyota Celica All-trac, but it would smog as a whatever-the-460-came-in vehicle.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Beau Corso said:
While it's not probable that the car in question would be CA legal, it's very possible. As long as the engine is either the same year or newer than the car, any engine can go in to any car, as long as the engine was offered here in the states. The car would still be registered as an 88 Toyota Celica All-trac, but it would smog as a whatever-the-460-came-in vehicle.
It's wouldn't pass the visual as you cannot have the stock exhaust pipes in place with that kinda setup. Plus since the Ford 460 engine was only offered in pickup trucks in 88, you cannot swap it into a passenger vehicle. Cali sux. I used to live there and the only thing keeping me going was the weather, tanned girls in mini skirts/short shorts, and the food. ;)

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
Lsong said:
Looks street legal for Kentucky!
As long as it's got a vin, turn signals, a horn, and headlights, they'll register it.
No emissions testing to speak of.
Ditto that for most of Texas, the few areas that require emission testing you get a free pass due to it being 25 years old.

I have seen WAY crazier then that on the street legally. Cops don't even pay attention except out of curiosity, more then 1 nice car has got pulled over just because the cops wanted to look at it lol.

Not sure why they wasted a rare alltrac shell on that project when a normal 2wd model would have worked just as well for what they did.

Still pretty neat car and a great price.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You should live in portland, I see ST165 shells popping up every 2-3 weeks. ;)

Texas_Ace said:
Ditto that for most of Texas, the few areas that require emission testing you get a free pass due to it being 25 years old.

I have seen WAY crazier then that on the street legally. Cops don't even pay attention except out of curiosity, more then 1 nice car has got pulled over just because the cops wanted to look at it lol.

Not sure why they wasted a rare alltrac shell on that project when a normal 2wd model would have worked just as well for what they did.

Still pretty neat car and a great price.

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
LordLo said:
You should live in portland, I see ST165 shells popping up every 2-3 weeks. ;)
LOL, had a search on criagslist and ebay for years and only seen a few alltracs of any kind pop up locally. All complete trash or really overpriced or gone within seconds of being listed.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
chrisfromnh said:
i thought any engine modification, regardless if it passes smog, will get you into big trouble in cali?
Actually, you can swap in any engine you want as long as it's from the same class of car (ie, not a truck like this) and it's from the same year or newer car, and all the smog equipment from the newer car is moved with the engine, and you can't change drive trains. This means you can't put a stick shift on a motor that isn't supposed to have one (which is why 2gr swaps in cali are ok if you use the auto transmission OR you use the lotus evora computer), and you can't put AWD in a car that didn't have it. Some modifications to the exhaust system are allowed because they know you're fitting a motor that wasn't designed to fit, but you have to keep any manifold cats. This AWD Celica probably could be made legal with just swapping in a newer Ford V8 along with all related smog equipment. Anything newer than the Celica's manufacturing year would be ok, as long as it came in a car and not a truck. As far as actually upgrading that engine however, yes, most modifications to the engine are not smog legal. California is really dumb. It's legal to swap a Cadillac Northstar into an MR2 with the auto trans, but not to put a turbo on a 4agze. Gee, I wonder which pollutes more?

·
Registered
743 Posts
very interesting....

i live in NH... we have bigger grey zones to make stuff work lol and likely a lot more leniency when it comes to stuff like this. hell, we still dont need to wear seat belts :)

·
Super Moderator
14,333 Posts
You guys all entirely missed my point and then went off on dumb rants about California. That's not a street car no matter what state you live in. :lol:

·
Registered
743 Posts
if it can be driven on tar, it can certainly be a street car ;)

you can literally fabricate a frame, throw an engine on it, make a body of some sort, and get it on the road as a kit car here in NH.

a close friend did just that. its the size of a go cart virtually. has a motorcycle engine (not sure exactly what bike) but he build ever single thing. even fabbed the body up. (its like a mini ferrari) got it registered as a kit car and assigned a vin etc. its a process but doable.

as far as the celica being a street car, in the sense like its made for the street, in a performance point of view.... ya.... probably not the best choice lol that thing is made for hammering down backroads and going to local car shows

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
filonin_2 said:
Conor, street legal varies by state. That car certainly is street legal some places.
Yeah, we're good up here. See the license plate? Street legal. Innocent until proven guilty.

Maybe not weatherproof, maybe not comfortable, maybe not legal where Federal emissions laws are concerned, but those issues are not enforced by local law enforecement. Cops up here do not consider gratuitous excess a ticketable offsense.

Love the Gulf paint scheme and WANABE license plate.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts