MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does loosening or dropping the rear crossmember require an alignment afterwards?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But in practice do people go and get an alignment? Changing the rear sway bar and replacing the b-pipe all require touching the crossmember.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
it would only affect toe correct?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
By practice i try to get an alignment whenever i touch the suspension. If your tires only last 5000-20000kms, its a good thing to make sure they are aligned properly ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
just a question to add to this. I pulled the tranny out of my car awhile ago. I took the crossmember off while doing it. Or lowered it a bunch, I cant remember now. Regardless, my alignment is jacked up now. Someone said my caster, or toe is messed up. The car wants to jolt to the right and wiggle when I speed up. Does this mean that maybe I didn't tighten the crossmember correctly?

jeff

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The only adjustments in the rear are camber and toe. Lowering the crossmember would more likely disrupt toe than it would camber. Both can be affected though sometimes.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I removed my crossmember and then the engine. put it all back in and checked the alignment after. it was still right on. I tried to mark where the strut pinch flanges were with respect to the axle carriers beforehand to get the same camber afterwards. apparently in my case the toe was not affected as the crossmember must have positioned itself to the original position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts