MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i bought my car last yr .. but i have a question is all 1991 n/a mr2 have a strut bar in front ? the black thing ?? is it stock ?? or modified ? coz i think turbo mr2 only have this or does n/a mr2's have this also ? thnx

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Both the NA and turbo have them in front it's the rear X-Bar in the engine bay that only the turbo models get.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
There's a slight variation from the power steering and non-power steering models. My sunroof N/A w/o power steering bolts into the rearward set of bolts on the strut tower. My t-top w/ power steering is like the one above.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
It's a sunroof/no sunroof variation. The bar had to be altered for the sunroof one so the sunroof would fit in the frunk.

·
Registered
811 Posts
-The bar doesn't do much for performance though, I felt a big difference with my cusco bar on there instead.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
lol same here i didn't know the sunroff goes in the frunk i always threw it in the trunk. no wonder my front strut bar looks a little different. not as one peice as yours.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Take the sunroof "handle" and lock it into the sunroof using the same pinching of the arms that you used to unhook it from the roof, so that the handle doesn't move. Youll notice two holes on the radiator side of the frunk for the sunroof tabs. Put the sunroof tabs in there. Then unlatch the little clamp at the front firewall on this "strut bar". The sunroof handle should lay right in this clamp. Clamp the clamp and you're good to go. Smart guys these Toyota engineers eh?

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Whoa!!!! The sunroof comes out??? Holy crap I did not know that. Man, I was like taht sucks it just vents. Or am I wrong? Are there two types?

·
Registered
364 Posts
it comes out

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
:smile:
rnoll98 said:
Take the sunroof "handle" and lock it into the sunroof using the same pinching of the arms that you used to unhook it from the roof, so that the handle doesn't move. Youll notice two holes on the radiator side of the frunk for the sunroof tabs. Put the sunroof tabs in there. Then unlatch the little clamp at the front firewall on this "strut bar". The sunroof handle should lay right in this clamp. Clamp the clamp and you're good to go. Smart guys these Toyota engineers eh?
thats why the mr2 is midengine :thumbup

qwik you can unbolt the sunroof glass from where it mounts and just take it off at an angle. :smile:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
yeah it has instructions on the back of the visor, just two screws, and it fits in two special spots in the frunk. I mad a pad from a patio chair to protect it from the hood of the frunk. it's pretty cool without the roof.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Wow, I am going to have to check that out later on this week. Snowing like crazy here so she's in bed in a nice warm garage and I got my '99 4x4 turbo f-250 out to play around in. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
lol you have a sunroof and didn't know about it? man, it's gonna be different and fun now:) It's like me finding out...omg, I can take the glass off, my car has t-tops???? hehe

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
A triangulated strut tower bar would show a noticeable improvement ... but then the sunroof would really have to go in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
OMG Don't you guys read the manual at all? You have a sunroof and you don't know it goes in the Frunk, you have a sunroof and you don't even know it comes out?! What's going on here?!?! :p

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Felix said:
lol you have a sunroof and didn't know about it? man, it's gonna be different and fun now:) It's like me finding out...omg, I can take the glass off, my car has t-tops???? hehe
Well I just thought that you pushed it up and it just vented I have only had the sunroofed car for about two months all my other two's are t-tops (which preffer). I thought maybe they came out but really never looked at it and passed it off.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
yep when i first pushed the sunroof up I thought crap just a vent (moon roof deal) then I looked closer and saw a defusser, I started thinking why would a moon roof need a defusier mybe the roof was to short to put a motor in so toyota did one of those where you took it off by hand, of course seeing my uncles mk3 supra help a bit to as you had to take the roof off. so it just broaden the Idea. bought my car used no manual.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts