MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new oem Toyota flywheel for turbo s54 hybrid. Can I just bolt it on or does it need to be balanced with the crank? Or some other procedure?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
They are generally already balanced so provided the surface is ok I’d just bolt it up with a little Loctight.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
usually neutrally balanced but that doesnt mean your engine is. and there is no easy way to tell. if you still have the old one installed look for holes drilled out on it to see if its been lightened on any side in particular and compare to the new one and see if its the same. there are 8 possible positions to install it, but im willing to assume that one of them will work better than the other 7. though all 8 would get you a running vehicle

·
Premium Member
13,279 Posts
The flywheel, clutch, and crank should all be balanced independently. If they weren't then you would have to tear the whole motor down every time you changed the clutch.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I have flywheel, new toyota bolts, rear main seal and a south bend hybrid kit from mr2heaven coming.

Is flywheel replacement something I can do with the engine in without too much trouble?

I need to install my eibach springs and replace both leaking axel seals anyway so I will be halfway there. I have Makita's most powerful battery impact wrench, are flywheel bolts terrible to remove or should this get them off ok?

·
Super Moderator
2,696 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have flywheel, new toyota bolts, rear main seal and a south bend hybrid kit from mr2heaven coming.

Is flywheel replacement something I can do with the engine in without too much trouble?

I need to install my eibach springs and replace both leaking axel seals anyway so I will be halfway there. I have Makita's most powerful battery impact wrench, are flywheel bolts terrible to remove or should this get them off ok?
Removing the flywheel bolts can be a mission as they have loctite on them to seal the thread as they will leak oil. They don't need heaps of torque to do them up. Hardest bit is holding the flywheel still when undoing and doing up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A decent impact gun should make quick work of them. If the loc tite gives you trouble, hit each bolt with a torch to break the loc tite and then run em out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts