MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an excellent condition ct26 from someone here on the boards. It's application will be special, however. It is going in a 4x4 Pickup with the 3VZE.

Now, my question is about the water cooling jacket on the turbo. I have the oil lines planned out for the turbo, but does it absolutely need water??

Please don't flame me, but the only location for the turbo is under the front of the cab. It will receive plenty of cool air over it and will be ~1.5ft from where the headers meet. Basically, in a much cooler spot than it's home--an MR2. Anybody ever run a CT26 without water, even in an MR2?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another newb question.

The stock wastegate actuator has two ports on it. One that goes to the compressor housing, one that goes to a VSV. Can I hook up a MBC in between the compressor and the actuator, and cap the VSV side?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just use the water lines from your throttle body for coolant to the turbo (and disconnect them from the TB!).

For your second Q - yes, that is how you hook it up.

-Charlie

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Without water cooling i dont think the turbo will last very long, it is designed to be water cooled in addition to oil cooling. I have 0 proof, but id be finding some water lines to help it out!

Graeme

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Water cooling is designed reduce coking of the oil in the turbo after shutdown. If you run without it, minimize the coking problem by running synthetic oil and by idling down the turbo for a few minutes before shutting off the engine.

Mike R

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already run Mobil 1 syn. And if I can find a turbo timer for cheap, I will definately put one on.

However, since this is a remote turbo install, I am using an oil scavenge pump on the return side. Could I make a timer for the oil scavenge pump so that it sucks oil through the turbo for a minute or two after shutdown?

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
the turbo is designed to be cooled by oil and water, not just oil. if you remove the water lines to the turbo, it will die quickly. in addition to cooling it, it helps draw heat from the oil to prevent coking from quick shutdowns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, now I'm interested in why themr2man was so quick to say that I didn't need to water cool it. No worries, got a water pump, tranny cooler, and water temp gauge to give it it's own circuit. If that doesn't work, I will pull water off the heater core or TB.

Any way to collect the coke from the turbo after it makes some? j/k

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have run many turbos on my car without water cooling, and the turbos have water cooling inlet/outlets. Never had a problem. There are alot of turbo kits our there that dont use water cooling. It is mainly there to prevent oil coking/ clogging from not letting your car cool down after boosting. If you use synthetic oil and/or let your car cool down properly it will be just fine. I am not saying water cooling is a bad thing, it is good insurance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, now I'm back to square one, lol. As others have said, synthetic semi-solves the problem. Check! And I will always let it cool down. Check! Turbo timer will be on order a month or two after initial install. Check! themr2man has past experience running turbos without water cooling passages hooked up. Double check!

Looks like I'm going to save myself the $100/HR x 4 = $400 to fab a water cooling setup for it and just buy another CT26 for $200 if mine blows.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
My opinion: The people in japan didnt put water jackets and coolant hardlines on the turbo just because they had spare parts laying around. It was put there for a reason, Don't you think you should run the turbo as intended??

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
there is not enough oil flow to these turbos to cool off with just oil. and you can't just try to crank more pressure at it. the bearings and internals aren't made to handle that kinda pressure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
this may seem stupid, but i started my car (91mr2t w/ 3sgte swap) without coolant in it for like 2 minutes, and once it started getting hot (needle barely moved above C) i shut it off. would this cause any burning coolant (crazy white smoke) once i did put coolant in there after it cooled down?

also, not to totally hijack this thread, but, could not bleeding the coolant system completely, cause the motor to burn coolant? it was a ton of white smoke, and there was a little bit of coolant/oil mix on the compressor side when i took off the intake...please i need help ASAP! the problems just dont stop!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts