MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blown e51 tranny and have been attempting to get a new one because all of the tranny shops around here dont want to rebuild it. My last resort is now to use a n/a tranny. Will it work with a SC motor and would the SC axles go into it? If not how well does the n/a tranny handle power? does the different gearing make it slower? I've heard about this happening on other cars. If anyone who has used the n/a tranny with a 4agze can help me out it would be great. thanks.

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
mk1 pimp said:
I have a blown e51 tranny and have been attempting to get a new one because all of the tranny shops around here dont want to rebuild it..
OK.
My last resort is now to use a n/a tranny. Will it work with a SC motor and would the SC axles go into it? .
YES, NO.

If not how well does the n/a tranny handle power? .
NOT VERY GOOD. AXLES BREAK.

does the different gearing make it slower? I've heard about this happening on other cars..
TOP SPEED YET, ACCELLERATION NO, YOU WILL BE QUICKER WITH A N/A TRANNY.[/QUOTE]

If anyone who has used the n/a tranny with a 4agze can help me out it would be great. thanks.
DEPENDS ON WHAT KINDA STUFF YOU DO WITH THE CAR, DO NOT LAUNCH HARD ON N/A AXLES.

THANK YOU FOR CAPS:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your advice. I want to use the car for drag racing. I guess using a n/a tranny isnt a good idea. If anyone out there knows somebody selling an e51 in good condition please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You could always buy N/A axles from your local CSK auto. They come with lifetime warranties. That way you can break em and return em for new for life.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
yep...... lots of honda guys with weird swaps around here that do that.... i sometimes have problems with warrantying those out since i know the axles are in the wrong car and tranny.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, but the thing is, once I start making more power I will never be able to get a good launch without breaking the axles. Ill never be able to push the car to its full potential. If anything Ill just use a n/a tranny with axles for now. And when the time comes that they break everytime I launch hard Im sure I can take them to get custom built or something. Will a clutch made for an e51 work on the n/a tranny? or do I need a new clutch too? Thanks for the advide guys. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You need a new clutch also. By the way, I have an e51 tranny out of an 4agze ae92 for sale. It came from a FWD car so would need to be adapted to work on the Mr2. Check out the For Sale forum, the e51s pop up every now and then.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts