MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is an '86 with the stock 4age engine. A previous owner swapped the automatic transmission for the C-50 manual transmission. When I did the cruise control delete today and removed the cruise control computer in the trunk, I saw the ECT box there. Do I need the ECT box if the ECU is for an automatic transmission and the wire harness in the car is for an automatic transmission?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Pretty sure you don't need it if you no longer have the auto transmission. Easy enough to confirm by unplugging.

Do you know what was done to adapt the AT wiring for the MT swap? Just jump the neutral start sensor, right? Still running the AT instrument panel?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure you don't need it if you no longer have the auto transmission. Easy enough to confirm by unplugging.

Do you know what was done to adapt the AT wiring for the MT swap? Just jump the neutral start sensor, right? Still running the AT instrument panel?
The instrument panel for some reason has been swapped over to an '87-'89. The ECT button is still there. The neutral start switch, I'm guessing, was jumped. I had to jump the back up light switch to get the reverse lights to work. I was just afraid I might hurt something by powering up the ECU while having that ECT box unplugged, but I guess I will try it. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts