MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Original
10,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went out to start up my truck today, and the battery was dead, so i figured i'd just pull the one out of the mr2. well, after i popped the engine lid and move the little plastic cover thing that covers the positive battery terminal, i found this....

you can see how well those stupid batter washers work... bleh.

oh well, here comes the baking soda....

and what it looks like after you wash it down with warm water, although i will need to hit some of that terminal will have to be hit with a wire brush.

so i guess now i am gonna run to the store and buy some of that red battery terminal protector and see if that works..

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Vaseline.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
they don't work for nothin'. sorta why i have switched (when needed) all of my batteries to sealed batteries like Optima. no vented gasses...

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
No corrosion on my terminals... :dontknow:

What causes it anyway?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
86mister2 said:
No corrosion on my terminals... :dontknow:

What causes it anyway?
"Battery Maintenance is an important issue. The battery should be cleaned using a baking soda and water mix; a couple of table spoons to a pint of water. Cable connection needs to be clean and tightened. Many battery problems are caused by dirty and loose connections. A serviceable battery needs to have the fluid level checked. Use only mineral free water. Distilled water is best. Don't overfill battery cells especially in warmer weather. The natural fluid expansion in hot weather will push excess electrolytes from the battery. To prevent corrosion of cables on top post batteries use a small bead of silicon sealer at the base of the post and place a felt battery washer over it. Coat the washer with high temperature grease or petroleum jelly (Vaseline), then place cable on the post and tighten. Coat the exposed cable end with the grease. Most folks don't know that just the gases from the battery condensing on metal parts cause most corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts