MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn my MR2 off after a drive, I can hear the water bubbling and boiling in the car and more loudly if i pop the bonnet. I know it must hot under there with not much cold air getting to it, but does anyone elses do this???
If not, why is mine doing this??? But if so, is there anything i can do to help it cool down quicker??
Thanks joe :thumbup

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
every normal mr2 does this

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks. Ive only just recently brought mine and have been wondering if this normal??? Obviously it is, but is there anything you can do to help it cool down???
Are the toms air scoops worth getting??

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
TheMachine said:
cool, thanks. Ive only just recently brought mine and have been wondering if this normal??? Obviously it is, but is there anything you can do to help it cool down???
Are the toms air scoops worth getting??
the scoops aren't functional, more of a cosmetic thing. it DOES let air inside the bay but it disturbs the airflow because air comes in through the bottom and sides and exits through the top. do you have a turbo or n/a? you can't really help cool it down, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Poor cold water all over your engine.....just kidding DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!... Watch your engine temp gauge and if its normal no worries, you can always flush your coolant system since you just bought it, might be a good idea to do that anyways. Add some new fresh coolant mmmm she would love that I bet.
Craig

·
Registered
83 Posts
glad i read this thread, i never noticed this untill the other day and was stressing out bigtime cause i just got rid of a car with engine problems and thought i got another.. altho mine is the 86 body style i got a 91 (S5-FE) engine.. but i was wondering.. when i actuly get a paintjob that's worth careing about, what do i do if i want to take it thru the car wash o_O

sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but the vents right over the engine had me concerned when i thought about this

·
Registered
296 Posts
the TOMS scoop (the left side) was originally designed as a ram air setup that sealed to a TOMS airbox, in which case it was functional. Most people dont use it that way (rain would be a problem) so in most cases as has been said; it just disrupts the upward flow of air in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
People always say the gurgling is normal for the 3stge with the a stock ct- turbo. I agree that it is a great attribute to Toyota's design and is actually a good thing, and that you should NOT freak out over it.

However, I always like to add that if you hear the gurgling even when you haven't been boosting or highway driving, you should burp your coolant system. I definitely noticed louder and more frequent gurgling (even under low to moderate EGT conditions) when I had air in my coolant system. I never heard it under normal city driving on my car until after I had a coolant leak from the radiator vent plug. After flushing and burping the system it went away except after hard driving.

Kevin

·
Registered
710 Posts
Anubis_4_99 said:
altho mine is the 86 body style i got a 91 (S5-FE) engine.. but i was wondering.. when i actuly get a paintjob that's worth careing about, what do i do if i want to take it thru the car wash o_O

sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but the vents right over the engine had me concerned when i thought about this
You have a 5s in an 86? Why?!?

Oh, and don't go through a car wash. They weren't made with midengine cars in mind.

-bryan

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah i had the same problem... you guys said its normal the turbo 2 does it but it drives me insane so how would do you get rid of it?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
kohartb said:
You have a 5s in an 86? Why?!?

Oh, and don't go through a car wash. They weren't made with midengine cars in mind.

-bryan
that's ridiculous, i've been through many carwash places with no problems.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
sab0276 said:
How do you 'burp' the system?

-Scott
Just follow the BGB procedure to make sure the air pockets are driven out. If you don't have a BGB, I believe there are some webversions around.

Kevin

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just flushed my coolant last night and put new stuff in. I knew there would be major air in the system, but I took it out for a boot to break in the new clutch a bit. And when I got back I poped the lid and I could hear bubbling, very loud to boot. In the morning I checked the coolant level and I needed to add 1L more. Hope this sound doesnt happen again when I get home.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cool thanks for your help. Ive been keeping an eye on the temp and it gets up to temp then stays there. In reply to MR2Bliss, funny you should mention a coolant change, ive just this weekend changed the coolant and topped it up with anti-freeze. Note to self:- I need to check the levels again.
Spike whats the BGB procedure for burping the system?? or give me directions to where i can find it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts