MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing is way off. It's about 30-35 degrees BTDC, it's so bad, I can barely see the timing marks when checking, even though I painted them w/ white out. Yet it seems to not only run, but run strong. No hesitation, and pulls all the way to 6800(flattens out a bit from there to redline), especially after the TVIS opens(85 N/A). The timing cover has a sticker on it indcating the timing belt was changed at 68K miles- I bought it at 72K, and it now has 77K. I've heard that it might be the ex. cam is a tooth off, causing the dizzy to be off a tooth. If this was true, I imagine I would have a hellava valve overlap.

Is this plausible, considering the engine runs well? I'd love to get this taken care of before I do any cams/cam gears and eventually N2O.

Thanks for any info or educated opinions in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Did the engine, or the crank pulley, come out of a FWD car? There are 2 sets of timing marks on the 4AGE; one on the plastic cover (for other than AW11's), and then the pointer on the timing belt tensioner bolt (for AW11's). If you have the pulley off something other than a MR2, the marks on the pulley will be wrong by about 45*.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seriously doubt it, although I suppose its possible. Basically youre saying it couldnt be that far out on timing and run well, which makes alot of sense to me. It is off by about 45 degrees. Is it hard to get a 4agelc crank pulley as opposed to a "normal" 4age pulley?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
ITA-MR2 said:
Did the engine, or the crank pulley, come out of a FWD car? There are 2 sets of timing marks on the 4AGE; one on the plastic cover (for other than AW11's), and then the pointer on the timing belt tensioner bolt (for AW11's). If you have the pulley off something other than a MR2, the marks on the pulley will be wrong by about 45*.
:inquisiti
Lol, ive never seen that smiley used before...

But Man... Norm...you have like unlimited knowledge! ...Where does it end??!?!?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Norm is correct, However, I had the same issue. The only part that I changed was a rebuilt crank! So I would submit that the woodruff key slot on some FWD cranks can be different.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to have to look for a junkyard MR2 unless someone one the board here has one...

ITA that was great info- At least now I can concentrate on cams and N20, which is where Im going on this car.

Thanks fellas, the board comes through again

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it to operating temp, jumpered the diagnostic box, and checked it about 40 times. I'd never seen anything like that. The "corolla crank theory" floated by ITA is by far the best explanation Ive had. I just wanted to get stuff straight before I did any opening of the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts