MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently drove my 88 MR2 cross country and used ratchet straps to tie down a big suitcase to the rear of the car directly over the luggage trunk.

I didn't like having it so close to the engine compartments and the potential of blocking the vents (even if they are mostly for looks) so I was wondering what else was available for the MK1 MR2.

Doing some research, I didn't find anything custom for the MR2 but I did find two base sets that would fit into the MK1's rain gutters:

Thule 300 Gutter Foot Pack:
Thule - Thule Racks - Rack, Carrier, Or Hitch Solutions For Use With Cars, Trucks & RVs (no html link, everythng is flash)

Yakima 1A Raingutter Base System:
Yakima: Racks, Bike Racks, Roof Racks for Skis, Cargo & Kayaks (see above)

What I don't like about these racks is that the bars run perpendicular to the car (side to side) instead of parallel (front to back).

Do they make any that run that way?

If not, can I get one custom made?

And finally are any made that fit over the luggage trunk instead? that seems the most aerodynamic to me, plus the best place for extra weight. I just don't want to smother the engine vents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to pick up an old thread but I found it when trying to do a similar thing....!

I've tried the Thule gutter fixings but I am not convinced of them on the T-Bar frame so went for a rack above the engine lid.

I used a couple of Thule Aero Bars with some aluminium slats self-tapped onto it (about 200mm crs)

The Thule bars are bolted to rubber "feet" which allow a gap to engine vents.

The whole thing is secured to the engine lid with 25mm straps and cambuckles to keep tight.

It seems secure enough after test drive. I will be trying it with some camping gear shortly.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts