MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

DIY LED Headlight Conversion?

4K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  HurricanesZ 
#1 ·
LED headlights are definitely a good upgrade from the stock headlights our cars have. I was wondering people's thoughts on a DIY LED headlight conversion, since a lot of the drop in H6504 LED kits from reputable brands can get really pricey. From what I've found, it looks like you could do a DIY solution for a little under $120, which seems decent. Here's what I found: H4 projector LED bulbs for $47, H4 polarity converter for $18, H6504 housings for $53. Every price listed is for the pair and not individual.

I realize that the placement of a bulb in its housing needs to be just perfect for the light to correctly reflect and not blind drivers in front of you. I assume a projector LED bulb would work around this though since it shines the light straight forward, instead of reflecting the light in the housing.

Is my thinking correct about projector bulbs? Is the H4 polarity converter sufficient? I've seen a few videos about doing the LED headlight conversion and people we wiring in relays and running a bunch of extra wires. Almost seems too easy compared to the videos I saw. Any thoughts on this DIY LED headlight conversion? Would it be worth it to pay more money for a drop in solution? I just wonder about the longevity of everything. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but I can't tell if this is one of those cases. Reviews seem to be fine for every product listed, however

See less See more
#2 ·
This is plug and play. Really.

Hella sealed beam conversion and the LED light upgrade.

Go adjust the aim points of your lights after install to avoid blinding other drivers.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
This is plug and play. Really.

Hella sealed beam conversion and the LED light upgrade.

Go adjust the aim points of your lights after install to avoid blinding other drivers.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
would you still need a polarity corrector for this?

#4 ·
My responses copy/pasted from a thread a bit ago on the same topic. Short story, don't do it. It's wrong, it's illegal, and it will be worse than a set of Hella E codes.

1st post:
There are only a few brands that make drop in led lights that are worth anything. JW Speaker, Philips, GE, and Truck Lite. There's a reason they're expensive.

You'll need to also have a relay harness made to convert from switched ground (stock Toyota) to switched positive (what every LED light maker expects).

I've made the mistake of putting LED bulbs in H4 housings and buying the less expensive conversion housings. This is truly a buy once cry once situation. If it's not the 4 brands I listed, it's probably hot garbage.

2nd post:
The problem is that it's physically impossible to package an LED in the same space as a halogen filiment, so there's no way for a housing designed for an H4 (or any other halogen) to collect and distribute light from an LED correctly. The focal point of the light is in the wrong place to work correctly.

This is true for all types of lights; projectors aren't immune from having an incorrect focal point for an LED if they were designed for a halogen.

#5 ·
The H4 projector LED bulbs may indeed work OK, if the low-beam cutoff can be aimed correctly, though it's hardly flat. The high beam appears to use the reflector, so no telling how well that will work. Also, they may not fit in a standard 6054 housing (what MK1 and MK2 MR2s use). The dimensional diagram shows you need 3" of space between the bulb mounting flange and the inside surface of the housing lens. I don't have a set of 6054 housings handy to check this.

It looks like all of the listed "fitments" are newer vehicles with big molded plastic headlight assemblies that have a lot more room in them. You could theoretically use these in a Spyder, for example.

The polarity converter is what you need to use LED lights with an MR2s wiring. That's a good find.

Lastly the linked "projector" 6054 housings are definitely not what you would use the H4 projector bulbs with. You only need one projector lens and there would be no room to fit the projector H4 bulb in one of those housings.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
The H4 projector LED bulbs may indeed work OK, if the low-beam cutoff can be aimed correctly, though it's hardly flat. The high beam appears to use the reflector, so no telling how well that will work. Also, they may not fit in a standard 6054 housing (what MK1 and MK2 MR2s use). It looks like all of the listed "fitments" are newer vehicles with big molded plastic headlight assemblies that have a lot more room in them. You could theoretically use these in a Spyder, for example.
The polarity converter is what you need to use LED lights with an MR2s wiring. That's a good find.

Lastly the linked "projector" 6054 housings are definitely not what you would use the H4 projector bulbs with. You only need one projector lens and there would be no room to fit the projector H4 bulb in one of those housings.
good catch! didn't even realize the h6054 housings are a projector lens

#8 ·
As a side note, I personally don't like projector (low) beams. The cut-offs are so crisp, and the light so bright that you are typically totally blind to what's above the cut-off, which can be very unnerving on roads with dips/elevation changes.
My experience in this case was with an S2000 with its HID / projector headlights.

#22 ·
I am running with these projector with a set of Amazon HID BULBS. My plan was to test out HID vs LED, before I get the expensive bulbs from morimoto, to my surprise, these cheap bulbs are bright and durable. Im very happy with the light output and the high beam is incredibly awesome.

#28 ·
its the ones that the guy posted above
View attachment 91156 View attachment 91157
its the ones that the guy posted above
View attachment 91156 View attachment 91157
Start out by plug Orange female into the black male plug.
Now try plugging the 3 shiny blades one at a time into the OEM plug holes. Making sure the headlight switches to ON.
im pretty sure 2 of the 3 holes will turn on Low Beam.
Let’s see if we can get the low beam to work, if you have not already try.

#30 ·
I put the Philips LED 5x7s in my car. To get functionality due to the ground switched setup in our cars I had to buy what are effectively relay packs to convert the ground switched setup to power switched. Now I just need to fix the fog lights since they no longer function right because of less resistance in the high beam circuit