MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey wasap guys. i was wondering if any of u have tried making ur own engine lid fan shroud instead of buying the 300 ones available. i would like to know what material u used where u got it, tools needed, time spent, money spent.. thanx alot

jason mendieta

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. It seems as if most of the ones i've seen are just flat peices of sheetmetal or carbon fiber cut to fit with holes drilled in it for mounting and holes for the fans.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have seen a home made one and it looked good... i am sure it wouldnt be that hard...as stated above.... just get some sheet metal and make hole for the fans and screw...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
In my opinion the best way ive found to do it:

Remove the existing shroud (the black thing) and depending on your level of expertise, either measure and draft out the shape and necessary measurements into Autocad, make the necessary adjustments to the drawing(meaning add the holes (or hole) for your fans, holes for the hardware etc) then save as a 1:1 take it to a machine shop and have them laser/waterjet the finished product. However before you do that it helps if you plot it out on some paper and make sure everything lines up ;)
If you dont know how to use CAD, a more lo-tech way of doing its is to draw an outline of your existing shroud on a piece of sheet metal, marking all the mounting holes, tracing the outer perimeter, and the location of the holes to be cut. Drill out the holes, zipcut the rest of the design out, file the edges, mount your fans. Wont be as pretty but if you take a bit of care it will do what its supposed to...

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much would the machince shop charge me for the cut.? and where can i get the sheet meetal. im not that great w/ autocad. i jus took a lil class in H.S.. but my friend can do it for sure.. =)

thanx
jason m

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Anyone just cut out a circle in the existing shroud and use it. This is the direction I would take if I was going to go custom. Probably the easiest as well.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
neXus sw21 said:
hmm sounds ez.. one fan.? how do we cut.?
Haven't looked at the shroud in a while since mine is garaged :( But if the lid is open (looking at it from the back of the car) I'd put one toward the mid/upper right hand side (think this is probably where you would have to mount one, but right above the engine would be good to, if you can mount one there), and then put another one where the factory hole is in the bottom left. My reasoning is because if you have an IC fan it should not only suck in air for the IC, but also blow the hot air from the turbo/manifold over toward that hole. Then this fan (in the bottom left) would direct it out. Say a 10 inch in the mid right, and another IC fan (6 or 7 inch) in the bottom left.

As far as cutting, personally I'd drill a hole with a unibit, and then use a saw-saw, or one of those bladed style hacksaws to complete the circle.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I get free sheet metal help me make somthing

I get free sheet metal from friend work and i am about to start welding school.And i just got my new welder what is somthing cool and not to hard but fun to make.Evryone just leave your idea or pics i dont care what it is i have nothing but time on my hands and love making stuff making downpipe side pipe thing right now and i have made a trunk mouth intercooler.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
i went to a mr2 meet this past sunday and a guy there had a really cool DIY fan shroud that would be ultra cheap to make
plexiglass with a 10"hole cut in it on the drivers side (in US) of the lid.

i didnt take pictures or id put them up, sorry, but plexiglass is pretty cheap, get it at lowes or similar place

garrett

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
xxxboosted2xxx said:
i went to a mr2 meet this past sunday and a guy there had a really cool DIY fan shroud that would be ultra cheap to make
plexiglass with a 10"hole cut in it on the drivers side (in US) of the lid.

i didnt take pictures or id put them up, sorry, but plexiglass is pretty cheap, get it at lowes or similar place

garrett

will plexiglass stand up to the heat produced by the engine? over time, there might be warping issues, no?

-tj

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
that i cant say, i didnt ask the guy how long he had had the fans for.
i will post in the local section for us and try to get you some pics and whatnot

ps-love the name haha

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
^ same here man, but for some reason, it hasnt been doing it, even during the past storm... but yea, water does get in there.. and makes my belts squeak at times, but nothing too harsh

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
dumb question but with a shrouds do you use pusher or pullers ?pullers in gussing to suck the hot air out?

-b-

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
im guessing pullers... because without the top aftermarket air ducts air its suppose to flow from the side air ducts up through the engine lid...

·
Registered
945 Posts
jgdynamics said:
just like cheap ol me... =)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/jgdynamics/mr2/MISC/mr2004.jpg[/QUOTE]

hahaa.. alteast you have a gas prop rod! Im using a peice of wood.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts