1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Dangerous? -at least get a seat that is FIA or approved by some safety board. That's like trying to make your own helmet!

Dont skimp on safety equipment like helmet, seat, harness, etc... in a track car.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
By all means go for it then.

I value myself a little more than that. Although: if I did haveto run a metal seat (let alone a seat that I made like that), then I would use 2-part foam or beads to make a foam or bead seat that is moulded to my body. I think it's $40 for the 2-part foam or $1,100 for the bead seat. -I would highly reccomend the foam, it's cheap and it will greatly reduce injury in a crash, plus it's much more comfortable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
wow i am going to make a few of these. that is alot more cost effective than buying name brand seats. i can almost do it for free.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
did alu prices go up like steel has? alu has always been kinda spendy anyway, moreso than steel.

its neat.. but i dont know if you'd be saving any money at all.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
billj747 said:
Dangerous? -at least get a seat that is FIA or approved by some safety board. That's like trying to make your own helmet!

Dont skimp on safety equipment like helmet, seat, harness, etc... in a track car.
It's no different than a Kirkey or similar aluminum seat. With proper mounting, they are as safe as any other seat. The FIA seats are definitely nice but they are the shape that they come. With the metal seats they can be tweaked to fit perfect.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
wanabeGTShatch said:
would you need a tig welder for this or would a mig work? im not too experienced with whats welds with what...
A mig, properly outfitted, would work. The Kirkey seats are mig'd. Tig would be nice though.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Yeah I have a Kirkey intermediate road race seat. It is pretty nice. One beef though. The cover ripped WAY too easy when I was putting it on the seat. Right in the corner under your arm. You have to sort of pull it over the bolsters and it just ripped with very little effort applied. Another good part about the metal seats is that you can bend them to fit your body better than a composite seat would fit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
How about some threadcromancy....

What kind of realistic weight are we looking at for aluminum seats from say "Ultrashield"?

Anyone have a take on aluminum or composite being better for seats?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts