MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Research Automotive Lighting

At Diode Dynamics, we want our fellow Toyota MR2 enthusiasts to be educated on automotive lighting products, so that they know they are purchasing the best products on the market. We have devoted this portion of our website to doing just that. Here you'll find information on different automotive lighting technologies, how they work and common misconceptions you'll see while shopping for your vehicle. We hope you enjoy learning all about lighting!

Any questions? Email us at [email protected] or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Nick - I have a 1988 MR2 that I'd like to modify in the headlight area so that turning the headlights on doesn't stick two barn doors up in the airflow and flashing the high beams doesn't take ten seconds.

Originally I had thought about mounting some Hella 90mm bi-Halogens behind a flush Lexan cover. But being an Electrical Engineer and familiar with Haitz's law, I expect something soon along the lines of your Extreme series with two rows of LEDs. One for high beam and the other (with a sharp cutoff) for low beam that would only be as wide as a typical 5x7 headlight.

Do you see anything on the horizon along these lines?

Since I don't visit this forum often, I'd appreciate an email.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick - I have a 1988 MR2 that I'd like to modify in the headlight area so that turning the headlights on doesn't stick two barn doors up in the airflow and flashing the high beams doesn't take ten seconds.

Originally I had thought about mounting some Hella 90mm bi-Halogens behind a flush Lexan cover. But being an Electrical Engineer and familiar with Haitz's law, I expect something soon along the lines of your Extreme series with two rows of LEDs. One for high beam and the other (with a sharp cutoff) for low beam that would only be as wide as a typical 5x7 headlight.

Do you see anything on the horizon along these lines?

Since I don't visit this forum often, I'd appreciate an email.
Thank you for posting :thumbup

It's unlikely that we will offer a 5x7 LED sealed beam application within the next few months, and I wouldn't suggest adding an off-road light bar to replace your headlights. Although it would look fantastic and provide plenty of usable output, the light output pattern won't be road-legal and may cause problems for you.

I would send you an email, but you didn't provide one in your post

If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Nick C.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nick - You missed my main point that I don't want headlights that flip up like the stock ones. I want something to mount behind clear covers that replace the headlights when they are closed.

GE makes the Nighthawk rectangular headlight if I wanted to flip them up.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G5402765/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CjwKEAiA4_WjBRCNgf7A_KeE9jwSJADtegYdWYqiId8tmpgWOAtjGE5kwO9pZ-jc9_qg4QL9GX0f0BoCRCbw_wcB
I apologize for that

However, I don't believe it's something we will offer anytime soon

You may consult with a designer like FlyRyde who specializes in these unique applications. The owner, Chris, may be able to come up with something for you

http://flyryde.myshopify.com/

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NEW! HD Halos and Strips!

Diode Dynamics is excited to announce our new HD LED Halos and Semi-Flex Strips are now available! Offered in switchback and single colors (red, amber, blue and white), they are perfect for custom applications! The Strips are available in 3, 6, 9 and 12 inches and the Halos are offered in universal sizes from 50-160 millimeters.

Both products were designed from the ground up and manufactured in our facility here in St. Louis, Missouri. They are backed by our hassle-free 3-year limited warranty.

Click here to shop

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Our Stage Series Light bars are available in Amber as well! Here's the Driving and Wide output comparison shots!

Thank you,

Nick C.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts