MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Difficulty fitting 215/45/17

682 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  HankGT
Thanks, glad I could help.

I posted this info on your track thread here. I track the car once a year (sometimes twice) for a solid week with 5 to 6 other SW20s on a private track just east of San Diego. This guy has big bucks.
@RePete
I noticed your front tire size is 235. I’m having difficulty fitting 214/45/17. I’m still on OEM shock/strut with H&R lowering springs. What gives?
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Dang it! I’m going 215/40 front next time. 215/45 I need space and a little brute force on the spring/strut arch.
BTW I’m a fan boy of Fullway HP series tires.$70 each.
$81 a piece for the fronts for this one. Amazon will deliver the tires almost the next day. Now, you just need to buy one of these below like me. It was worth it for me since I have a bunch of motorcycles, quads, tractor, lawnmower, wheel barrow, trailer for boat, trailer for car carrier, etc.

$81 a piece for the fronts for this one. Amazon will deliver the tires almost the next day. Now, you just need to buy one of these below like me. It was worth it for me since I have a bunch of motorcycles, quads, tractor, lawnmower, wheel barrow, trailer for boat, trailer for car carrier, etc.

Dang, I’m jealous. But I don’t have multiple vehicles like you. I was looking at the Harbor freight one, though.
Dang, I’m jealous. But I don’t have multiple vehicles like you. I was looking at the Harbor freight one, though.
Don't be jealous...I live on a ranch, and it is a lot of work. I would rather just have the problem of having 1 car and 1 truck and go to Discount Tire / America's Tire once every 2 years.
Reactions: 1
I hate to offer a hack solution but if the tire is only hitting the spring perch but would clear the spring itself you could cut the perch and weld in a 90 degree piece to support the perch and provide more tire clearance. I put 225 40 18s with stock front struts. Its an 18x8.5 +38 offset no spacer. I think this is about the max you can go for fender clearance also, I had to roll them but no contact. The tire was just barely touching the perch so i took a sledge hammer and persuaded it up maybe a mill. I was considering the spring perch mod before I did that but it was just touching so little there was no need to go through all that.
We'll look into that option when we start working on my friend's MR2 build. It will be his new daily for a while. We'll take her in once we mounted the rotors and motiv wheels on the Tacoma this week.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts