MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a K&N pod filter yesterday and installed it as per the padandwheels.com write-up and now my '88 N/A won't start.

When I turn the key the starter kicks over and over and over but the engine never fires up, it doesn't even cough and splutter - nothing.

I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

The only thing that worries me a little bit is when I got to the step of unplugging the AFM wiring plug,

I didn't realise that it just pulls straight off, and so I firstly unscrewed it at the socket, and so when I pulled it out and saw the bare wires I realised my mistake, and screwed it back on again, and then pulled the plug out the proper way. Could that have damaged the wiring in the AFM, and if so, would that cause the engine not to start?

·
Spintec
1,899 Posts
There are screw's there? So the socket came out with the plug and you saw inside the AFM? Unfortunately I don't have any info for you, I've never tried running a 4AGE without the AFM connected.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Dimes to donuts.....it's your AFM connection....triple check that you got it all back together correctly and did not screw it up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah...it's not that hard to figure out. Just make sure all the wires are in good condition..you might want to try di electric grease.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i've just pulled the AFM off and I can hear something small rattling inside the bit under the black plastic, so i'll open it up and check it out.

damn i wish i had a BGB!

mkduece, i didn't take that photo, I got it off the padandwheels.com write-up, but I would assume he used photoshop or something similar to splice the photos together.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a Stanley knife to break the sealent around the edge of the black plastic top on the AFM and then used a small screwdriver to lever it out.

This is the view with it taken off.

The thing I could hear rattling inside was actually one of these contact points that had broken off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its easier to see what I mean with the socket pulled away from the AFM a bit like this

As you can see these three contact points have snapped off.

so it should just be a case of soldering them back into place, resealing the black plastic lid back on the AFM, plugging everything back in and firing it up! (i hope!)

·
Registered
243 Posts
This must be why everyone says to leave the screws on the AFM alone.. I know on some cars the screws are tamper torx.... Basically they shout LEAVE ME ALONE!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bc36607 said:
Time to go to radio shack and buy a soldering iron. if you unplug it it should run
seriously? I know it will run without the TPS plugged in, but the AFM?

If it won't start with a broken AFM, I don't see why it would start with it unplugged.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
well i thought it would but now that you reminded me of the tps i think your right, worth a try though. but go buy some solder, an iron, and rtv

·
RIP 8/6/1948 - 9/5/2011
16,626 Posts
You've got more problems that just those broken connections. I can guarantee it won't start when you solder them back together, too.

The main problem you have - and the reason it won't fire off, at ALL, is thet you badly bent the contact that shuts off the fuel pump.

In the upper right corner of the picture, there is a piece of metal sticking kind'a out to the side. That is supposed to be touching that other contact - and attached to the moving part is a little rod that is going that general direction. That rod is supposed to break the connection of those contacts when there is no air flow - and as soon as there is air flow it moves, letting the contacts come back together.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks a heap ITA, I think I know what you mean but just to clarify, your talking about this bit of metal right?

Is it supposed to be bent like that, or straight?

Is this what its supposed to be like?

so all i have to do is re-attach the bit that fell off, straighten that bent piece out and then solder the other 3 broken contacts and it should be fine, right?

If its not, how much is a replacement AFM, and is the same AFM found on any other models like the AE86?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Those are sweet pictures.

There are screw's there? So the socket came out with the plug and you saw inside the AFM? Unfortunately I don't have any info for you, I've never tried running a 4AGE without the AFM connected.
The car won't run w/o the AFM. It may start but it will sputter and sound like it is choking to deatha nd then die. :smile:

this is good to know as I want to do this soon!

·
RIP 8/6/1948 - 9/5/2011
16,626 Posts
Your photos and assumptions are correct. I'm not sure if that piece of metal is repairable, though. Frankly, I'd just try to find another AFM. The same one is on every 4AGE from '84 through about '90, - Corollas and MR2's (and possibly some JDM Celicas.)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
And most junkyards will get rid of them for ya at 5-15 bucks.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
Yea, you have MAJOR problems once you pull those connections out of place. The plug just has a clip on it. But, like everyone else says, find another good used NA AFM instead of trying to repair that.

Todd
87sc

·
Registered
153 Posts
i would just look for one in the junkyard. If you have no local ones (or just none with any mr2's/corollas) try www.car-part.com it will take awhile to ship but the prices are sometimes negotiable and parts EXTREMELY easy to find!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts