MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the previous owner that my ecu was chipped (techtom). He gave me the reciepts to the car showing a chipped ecu as well but he did not perform the mod himself. The owner before him was the one who did it. I was curious to know if it had been chipped or not so I opened my ECU today.

This was what I found... doesn't look like any aftermarket is in there, or am I wrong? :mad:

·
Registered
333 Posts
when they change a computer around they don't change components they plug it in and change things as requested. Usually they will slap a sticker on the outside.

·
Registered
987 Posts
when my ecu was done you will see a bulge on the ecu cover to accomodate the component added by g force techrom i dont know if unichip does the same

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a friend that chips ecu's and you cant tell he has changed anything but with above statement most do leave their mark.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to see marks on the outside of my ecu box as most tuners leave some sort of writing or mark indicating that the work has been done. To my suprise... nothing.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reciepts that I recieved with the car showed that the work had been performed by this shop: Japanese Automotive in Markham, Ontario where the owner/tuner, Yoshio, which is well known for his tuning capabilities, performed the work.

http://www.japanese-auto.com/photo_gallery_tuning.htm

Should there be some sort of circuit board attatched to my ECU like the ones on his site?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sleeperneon676 said:
do you notice any change? Lack of rec limiter? Possibly a lil more power? Or fdo you now have a stocker?
My car was never running properly from day one. But I did notice that in some gears it would hit rev limiter before redline (6700-6800'ish). My car was never able to hit 15psi as well and I have a Greddy Profec A EBC.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If your not to far from yoshio i would have them look at to make sure they did the work on your ecu

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are the pictures of my ECU are how a stock ECU supposed to look like? Or is there supposed to be a circuit board?

feedback...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
hmong337 said:
My car was never running properly from day one. But I did notice that in some gears it would hit rev limiter before redline (6700-6800'ish). My car was never able to hit 15psi as well and I have a Greddy Profec A EBC.

Well Ibelevie most aftermarket ecu's remove the rev limiter all together, but then if yo ucan get to 15psi that suggests that something was mesed with becuase isnt the stock boost limit like 12? I don't think its 15

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
ah... so a lack of rev limiter would indicated a modified ECU? My "stock" looking 93 JDM ECU allowed me to rev up to 8,000 rpms... i never thought anything of it up until now.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sleeperneon676 said:
Well Ibelevie most aftermarket ecu's remove the rev limiter all together, but then if yo ucan get to 15psi that suggests that something was mesed with becuase isnt the stock boost limit like 12? I don't think its 15
I said i could not reach 15 psi. the most i ever reached was 12 psi and i had my EBC set at 1bar (~15psi).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nateness said:
ah... so a lack of rev limiter would indicated a modified ECU? My "stock" looking 93 JDM ECU allowed me to rev up to 8,000 rpms... i never thought anything of it up until now.
a modified ecu should have raised the rev limiter...

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
hmong337 said:
The reciepts that I recieved with the car showed that the work had been performed by this shop: Japanese Automotive in Markham, Ontario where the owner/tuner, Yoshio, which is well known for his tuning capabilities, performed the work.

http://www.japanese-auto.com/photo_gallery_tuning.htm

Should there be some sort of circuit board attatched to my ECU like the ones on his site?
The person i bought my car from said i had je pistons in my car put in by horsepower freaks. I called them gave them the previous owners first and last name and they pulled it up. The pistons where put in. Try getting the name of the person that wanted and had the chip put in, then call the place up that did the install and ask them about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
skillzo1 said:
The person i bought my car from said i had je pistons in my car put in by horsepower freaks. I called them gave them the previous owners first and last name and they pulled it up. The pistons where put in. Try getting the name of the person that wanted and had the chip put in, then call the place up that did the install and ask them about it. Good luck.

Lucky for you, the ass who sold me my car lied about half the stuff in it.

T

·
0 Posts
hmong337 said:
a modified ecu should have raised the rev limiter...
What is the highest the engine can be revved to on stock internals, with out causing a problem. Assuming everythign else is in order.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts