MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to install lowrise

How to install lowrise:
Tools required:sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, blk sharpie, phillips head, flat head, small hammer.
1) Turn the light on completely, then turn the lightswich 2 clicks back,this would turn the lights off but keep the lighthousing raised.
2) Use the phillips head screwdiver and remove 2 screws on the left and on the right side of the headlight shroud. Remove the shroud.
3) There will be 4 screws holding the sealbeam, remove the screws and disconnect the sealbeam with the plug in the back.
4) Before removing the headlight cover(4 screws of 8mm,2 on each side) use the sharpie and mark around the washers of the screws, on the side of headlight cover( This way you'll see the black marks when reinstall lightcover and not wasting time of readjusting). Removed the 4 screws (8mm).
5) Use the 12mm socket and removed the nut that holds the pushrod to the blk plastic lighthousing( This nut will be inside of plastic lighthousing, on the outside wall, behind the half globe metal housing). Use an small hammer and lightly tap the 12mm bolt away from the plastic housing. The stock pushrod should be one end disconnected away from housing at this point.
6) Use 10mm socket and removed 2 bolts outside, one on each side at the end of the plastic housing. gently, remove the plastic housing.
7) Use blk sharpie and mark around the big braket( this big bracket holds the electric motor and light to the frame of the car)onto the car's frame.this proved to be easier to reinstall the brakets to exact point on car's frame later on.
8) Go back to the lightswich and turn it (off) or back one more click. You should hear the motor or see the untouched lighthousing on the other side turns to down position. Disconnect the motor plug.
9) Use 10mm socket and remove all 4 bolts that holds the big bracket to the frame. One on the lower inside wall, 2 on top and one right next to the front side of the electric motor(this one bolt is kind of hard to see, but reachable with a small socket wrench with 10mm socket). gently, pull the whole bracket and motor foward and away from the car.
10) Look at the motor and stock S bracket, try to remember the location of the stock S bracket at down position( just incase you change your mind and go back to stock.
11) Use the 14mm socket unbolt and disconnect the stock S bracket and pushrod away from the motor( use the flat head and pry it between the motor and S bracket, it should popout easily).
12) Reinstall the blk plastic lighthousing back on the big bracket. Install the new (modify) S braket at down position. Make sure the hole where the new pushrod connects to S bracket, the motoraxle's bolt, the stock hole on blk plastic lighthousing( at down position) are linear to each other ( two holes on S bracket and stock hole lie up in a straightline, at the top right of the sketch). To be continue at bottom

·
Registered
767 Posts
wow, nice and detailed picture.

it looks great, I have a question though, so basically we install your lowrise from underneath the car? I never took out the headlamps or anything before.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't have to go under the car at all. With the formula, it's a straight foward deal, no keep readjusting height, one time get it right deal as long as if you already know how high you want the light to rise fr top of the bumper to top the top of the lightcover. Remember What I said? " I went thru hell( 30+ hrs) so you guys can have a walk thru the park" :thumbup

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How to install lowrise:
13) Use the formula I have at the botton right of the sketch. The height you want light to rise, devided it by 4 = the distance betwen motor bolt and pushrod bolt on S bracket. Be dead on fr one center of a bolt to another center bolt. For example: if you're off by 1/4", your light will be too high or low by 1". So what ever is the distance between 2 bolts, multily that by 4, and you'll get the distance the lightcover will travel up.( TOYOTA didn't do this by guessing, or try and error). bolt one end of the new pushrod bolt to S bracket.
14) while the black plastic lighthousing is resting nice and tight to the bottom bumpstop, adjust the length of the new (modify) pushrod accordingly to the round hole on blk lighthousing. bolt the opposite end of new pushrod to stock hole on the housing ( the plastic wall where the stock hole on the housing might be a bit too thick, deep, for the new pushrod bolt to have enough thread on the other side of the plastic wall for nut and lockwasher, if this is the case, just use a big dill bit and countersink the stock hole down to 1/4".) Double check to make sure everething is correct: blk housing is sitting all the way down to bumpstop, pushrod at the right length. Disconnect the pushrod end that connected to blk plastic lighthousing, disconnect the plastic lighthousing away from the big bracket.
15) Now is the time that you test fit or install the new light(foglights) to the plastic lighthousing. Don't forget to leave room for lightcover and lightshroud ( test fit w/ everything and be sure everything is correct, looks good). Make sure you write everythings (measurements) down for the record for the other side( light) that you'll work on.
16) Take off (uninstall) the new lights ( foglights) you just installed on the blk housing.
17) Reinstall the big bracket with the motor back into car's frame, where the blk sharpie marks were. reconnect the electricmotor. Go back to the lightswitch and turn the light on (headlight rised, light is on). turn the lightswitch back 2 clicks( light is off, but S bracket is now in up position). Reinstall black plastic lighthousing to the big bracket with 2 10mm. Bolt the pushrod back to the plastic lighthousing again.
18) Reinstall your new lights to the blk plastic lighthousing. Connect the wire of the new lights to stock plug(wires).
19) Reinstall the lightcover to where you marked w/ sharpie earlier.
20) Test the lights, make sure it's on. Keep rising the lights up and down to make sure it closes and opens correct. Make sure there is no funny sound.
21) Go to the next light and repeat everysteps I mentioned above, it'll save you a lot of times ( It took me 30+ hours to figureout every..........things, I take the lights in and out approximately :1263 times :mad: )
22) Goodluck, if you have any question or suggestion pls let me know ( pics of my lowrise is under:lowrise question by tamdinh, it's on the bottom of page #3 posted by XPM DEUCE) :thumbup

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill Strong, is there anyway you can combine my last page with the top half and change the title from: "diagram" to "How to install low rise". Thanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It fits perfect, just have too trim the top right and left corner of metal housing down a little bit( behind the seal beam) no high beam. just a couple L brackets to hold in back into stock hole (screw)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts