MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to detail my engine and was wondering what products and techniques (pressure wash, hand wash, etc..) are the best to use. Also what cannot get wet to jeopardize its efficiency.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I use a mixture of Simply Green and water. 10 parts water and 1 part Simply Green mixed in a spray bottle. Get the engine warm (NOT hot, warm - means turn a COLD engine on for no more than 3-5 mins. The warmth loosens up the grease.

Cover any electrical components (alternator, fuse box, etc) with plastic bags (as needed, I don't personally do this on my cars, but to each his own-I take no responsibility) spray down the engine with the SG/H20 mixture. Use a brush ( I like to use a heavy bristle brush and a few old toothbrushes-I usually go thru 2 or 3 toothbrushes, as they will get gunked with grease) I also have a spray bottle with just plain water that I rinse the engine with afterwards.

Continue this process until it's clean as a whistle.

here are some samples of this tecchnique that I've done.

Note: If the motor is very dirty (like the WRX motor pictured below, I sprayed an old terry cloth towel with full strenght Simply Green and prewiped alot of the grease off then did the above tecnhinque. If it's still too greasy, spray with full strenght SG instead of the 1:10 SG:H2O.)

WRX before (not my old one, a friend of mines)

After

Member Keith McVey's car before

After

I had an amazing before/after from my old Integra, but it's not on my site anymore. . .

2 more pics to come. . .

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
gunk is much more powerful than simple green. i just pulled my motor out and completely cleaned it w/gunk. the one i used had an orange top. works awesome but make sure you get it all off or it will start to eat away. i dont think you are supposed to used it on aluminum. be careful

·
Registered
135 Posts
ISO: Simply Green Foam in a Spray Can

A few years ago I purchased a gallon of Simply Green that included a promo of their foam cleaner in a spray can. It was mainly advertised to clean BBQ grills, but did wonders on an engine.

Does anyone know if SG even still makes this stuff?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
jeez scott its been forever man hurry up and put that thing back were it belongs....in your CAR. J/P man you gonna come hang out on the 12th?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the average time it usually takes you to do an engine (mr2).

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Well, it depends on 2 things,

1) How greasy/dirty was the motor before

2) how clean do you want it?

For example, the MR2 pictured above was fairly clean when I got to it, so it took maybe 10 minutes. The WRX however, was pretty nasty and it took about 30 mins.

I would say 30 for a really good cleaning on the MR2, especially cuz of the difficulties of the location of the engine.

David

post pics when you're done/before. . .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just a FYI, Simple Green will stain aluminum if used too strong or if left on too long. I use Orange Blast for my cleaner. I use CD2 Engine Detailer, an acrylic base product, for protection and shine since it is non-oily and dries hard.

Here is my 1991 MR2/NA after a detail.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Basically any degreaser will work. Heres mine, I used castrol degreaser and mothers back to black as well as armor all tire spray for the black stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts