MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically i need to get some info on the knock sensor cable. I am taking my car to a garage to get the car running right again, its throwing up the knock sensor error.

Ive spoken to some knowledgable people and they say it is almost definatly the cable (replaces the sensor itself for a brand new stock one). Ive seen the wiring diagrams for the MR2 and it seems that its just simply a multistrand wire going from the ECU to the sensor and shielded by a wire comming from a grounding point on the manifold, Ive also been told this can be acheived by just using some tin foil and rapping the cable in it and connecting this to the manifold.

Ive been told by some people on this site though that the ECU checks for integrity in the cable, i cant see how going form the wiring diagram and so need some detailed info to investigate this further

cheers in advance

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Why would you want to do something as ghetto as build your own shielded cable? Go down to Radio Shack and purchase a spool of shielded microphone wire. It will have two 24 gauge conductors inside and a shield around them. Connect the two conductors at both ends to give you a higher effective gauge wire. Ground the shield to one of the ECU ground wires (either E1, E01 or E02) at ONLY THE ECU END. Run the cable through the firewall keeping it as short as possible. This will work if you follow the directions I gave you precisely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
regarding the ECU pins you gave me for grounding, will this apply to a rev1, are they brown or black cables? And also when connecting it to the ground should i just splice the cable

i will follow as you say

1 - 3 of 3 Posts