MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a question of "if" but "when". I really want a 3sgte swapped into my 91 n/a, but a few things hold me back. Other than a bit of a 2nd gear grind, my car runs great. My car still has only around 93k miles on it.

Should I drive it a bit longer until it needs some major work-and then do the swap? It just feels a bit weird hacking up a perfectly running car.

One other thing that's been on my brain--gen2 vs gen3 3sgte. My main priority would be easy parts availbility. If something went majorly wrong with a gen3 engine, I definitely wouldn't want to wait weeks to get the needed parts. My car is a daily driver, so I'd want to minimize the downtime.

The added hp of the gen3 would be nice to have fore sure, but in all honesty I'd be more than satisfied /w "only" 225 hp from the gen2. 130-->225 is a big step :)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
depends how much you want that power, if it were me i'd ditch the crap-sfe and go ahead with the swap.

gen2 or gen3? no doubt the gen3 is a better choice stock for stock, but they cost about $1k more than a gen2 clip. a lot of the components are interchangable but there's some differences in a couple of the parts. it's not TOO hard to source gen3 parts now. you will NOT stop at 225hp, boost is a drug and you'll crave it later on, and then you'll want more and more until it kills you lol. seriously i doubt you'll keep it stock. if you have the money, i say go for a gen3. i'd love to have a gen3 except i live in CA and you know how that story goes... :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
-If I was in your position, I'd still drive the car seeing how its still running great. You could save even more cash towards other stuff when you do do the swap (after market clutch, flywheel, intercooler).

About the gen2 vs. gen3 thing, I would go gen3. Even if the parts aren't as widely availible, the mileage on a gen 3 engine is most likely a lot less than a gen 2. (hence, you wouldn't even need replacement parts ;)) If you're not planning on totally building up your mr2, stick with gen3.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the last orlando mr2 meet, I got tired of being left behind. Towards the end of the day, I was pretty much the only n/a left! I couldn't keep up /w everyone else on the highway. In town I was ok cause of the traffic, but when some open road came up-hopeless. My fellow 2 owners were kind enough to wait for me at the next closest gas station for me to catch up. :p

Also I've gotten weary of people in town asking me if it's turbo...not yet I say...not yet ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to ask another question. The local shop (XAT) that does the swap normally installs custom 3" piping /w an apex'i N1 exhaust. Is this ok or should I ask for a different setup?

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
hey Banshee. im also going for the 3sgte swap soon, and im leaning towards the 2nd gen swap. the reason im doing this is mainly because of cost, and the fact that my engine has 167k on the clock. ive done alot of research on the differences in motors, but im still puzzled on the functionality of having the 3rd gen swap. i know the basics, about the power you get, no afm, and ct20b turbo, but is it that functional for us? i mean in the U.S.? is there alot of interchangable parts between the gen's, as far as basic tune up and maintanence? i can only afford a 90-92 engine, but hey, i can build it up and parts are more readily available.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Banshee said:
Forgot to ask another question. The local shop (XAT) that does the swap normally installs custom 3" piping /w an apex'i N1 exhaust. Is this ok or should I ask for a different setup?
that depends entirely on personal preference.

gen3 differences:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=857

the differences have been covered many times so it should be clear by now. which one of the two is better depends on what route you want to take and how much power you want. the MAJOR difference is the turbo and the engine management (i think).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it correct to say you'd only need 3" piping/exhaust if you're making 300+ horsepower? would 2.5 be enough for anything less than that? I really like the way the 2.5 TKO exhaust looks/sounds :)

S

·
0 Posts
A gen 2 with a CT-20b or CT-27 is the way to go. The power difference between the two isn't that much if you have a Gen 2 with the 20b/27. It sure is nice to be able to go to a Toyota dealer to get your parts if you need to. I don't care what anyone says, Gen 3 parts are not that easily obtained.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2nd gear grind has gotten worse recently. I can't shift into 2nd unless I'm going really slow. Downshifts are now pretty much impossible w/o grind :(

...gives me all the excuse I need to spring for a swap :toast

·
You can't handle the two!
410 Posts
I would advise to start looking for an engine now if your going to do a swap. The prices of turbo engines are going up (Jarco's prices jumped $500 from even 3 months ago on all MR2 turbo engines) , they are getting harder to find and you could be on a waiting list for a long time. I have had cash in hand now for a couple months and I still can't find one.

The other downfall is you seem to pretty much need a full rear clip to do the NA to Turbo swap... it's a lot of parts to make the swap right.

I agree swapping from the NA to turbo would be great. I have been anxious to do so since my NA died last may at an Orlando meet. So far I have been feeling that I have waited to long to spring for the swap and now the motor I need is getting to be a rare find....I should have done this 2 years ago.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
http://www.ctjengines.com/

contact the guys over there, they have a BUNCH of gen2 clips in their warehouse last time i was there. talk to "dennis", he's on mr2oc as "dennis".

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from XAT. Talked with them about getting a gen2 rear clip. If all goes well I should be boosted by the end of march. :smile:

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Go with Ron from Motors Unlimited (951) 283-3778. I did my swap about a month ago in my 91 na. I to said I would be conent with the bump in power.....a month later I WANT MOOOOORE!!!!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
GoBlueTwo said:
V6 swap, if you've got the time, money, and moxy
I'd do the v6 swap long before a 3sgte swap. But it will end up costing a bit more in the end. But if you do some minor headwork, headers, exhaust, intake I think the car would be quite quick.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts