MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice please...

1994 MR2 N/A (Japanese made)

During the day my idle is running low at 750rpm. I know this is supposed to be the normal rate but it seems to be quite rough. At night however, the engine idles nice and smooth at about 850-900rpm.

What's the deal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

L

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
If this is anything like the Gen 3 3sgte or Gen 4 3sge .. the ECU controls the idling so you can't do anything about it.

su

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lukido said:
Some advice please...

1994 MR2 N/A (Japanese made)

During the day my idle is running low at 750rpm. I know this is supposed to be the normal rate but it seems to be quite rough. At night however, the engine idles nice and smooth at about 850-900rpm.

What's the deal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

L
For a start, does day = no headlights & night = headlights? Load from headlamps changes idle.

Cheers,
8J2_93T

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8J2_93T said:
For a start, does day = no headlights & night = headlights? Load from headlamps changes idle.

Cheers,
8J2_93T
Hmmmm....now there's a thought. That seems logical, but is there any way that I can adjust my idle to compensate for daytime driving?

L

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lukido said:
Hmmmm....now there's a thought. That seems logical, but is there any way that I can adjust my idle to compensate for daytime driving?

L
So it appears more of an issue with idle than day or night.

If you are concerned, I would suggest looking at ignition components in general. If the idle rpms are within spec (not sure if they are the same for JDM model as USDM ones) but the idle is rough, ignition components like distributor, plugs and wires are the first things I'll look at.

Cheers,
8J2_93T

·
Registered
165 Posts
it must be nocturnal or something. :smile:

·
Registered
251 Posts
first4age said:
If this is anything like the Gen 3 3sgte or Gen 4 3sge .. the ECU controls the idling so you can't do anything about it.

su
You can't set your idle to vary with the time but you can adjust the cold and warm idle by simply twising a screw for each on the throttle cam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you :bow To all of you that offered me advice.

I finally found the part that adjusts the idle of my '94 MR2. It's located next to the throttle body, actually it's part of the throttle assembly. I've been looking for a screw, but it is a nut. I adjusted it and the engine is now running at a smooth 850rpms at both day and night. It does rise to about 900rpms when I turn on my lights, but it is still smooth.

:banana L

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
I wish I lived in Japan cause of the cars they have lucky bastard but that would be the only reason though....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Man,

For every 1 Japanese model car they have outside of Japan, they have 10 in Japan. You would be surpised to see all the different types of vehicles that are on the road here. Also, with the rise in fuel costs and the convenience of so many of the new model vehicles coming out, sports cars are not in high demand. Therefore, the prices of so many great sports cars are quite low. Imports included. This is truly the land of used cars.

Sorry to rub it in, dude. :sorry: But if you are in the market for a quality used ride at a low price, then Japan is the place to be.

Ever thought of teaching English as a living?

L

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lukido said:
Yeah Man,

For every 1 Japanese model car they have outside of Japan, they have 10 in Japan. You would be surpised to see all the different types of vehicles that are on the road here. Also, with the rise in fuel costs and the convenience of so many of the new model vehicles coming out, sports cars are not in high demand. Therefore, the prices of so many great sports cars are quite low. Imports included. This is truly the land of used cars.

Sorry to rub it in, dude. :sorry: But if you are in the market for a quality used ride at a low price, then Japan is the place to be.

Ever thought of teaching English as a living?

L
Grin ... or better still Lukido, since you are there, start up a business and get us parts, mods and other things!

I used to travel to Tokyo for work pretty often last 2 years. Always amazed to find the mods and accessories available. (When the 350z first came out, saw the front and rear camera kits. Damned cool ... I guess the front cameras (sideways) are necessary when you pull out of all those narrow alleys!)

Cheers,
8J2_93T

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
seize said:
You can't set your idle to vary with the time but you can adjust the cold and warm idle by simply twising a screw for each on the throttle cam.
Never heard of throttle cam. Can you explain where that is located?

Lukido said:
I finally found the part that adjusts the idle of my '94 MR2. It's located next to the throttle body, actually it's part of the throttle assembly. I've been looking for a screw, but it is a nut. I adjusted it and the engine is now running at a smooth 850rpms at both day and night. It does rise to about 900rpms when I turn on my lights, but it is still smooth
Did you rise the throttle body butterfly resting point? So now your butterfly is slightly opened (just like stepping on the gas slightly) to give you a higher idle.

Su

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used the term "Cam" to describe an object that changes a linear position by being affixed to a rotational body (I'm pretty sure that is a functional definition). I did mean the part of the throttle body that the throttle cable is affixed to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
first4age said:
Did you rise the throttle body butterfly resting point? So now your butterfly is slightly opened (just like stepping on the gas slightly) to give you a higher idle.

Su
Yes. That exactly what I did. Is there anything else that I should adjust?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts