MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a radio myself :mad: and was racing a musting afterwards that night and my guage light went off and came on and went off again and stayed of. the e brake, charge , check engine light come on but not the rpm's, mph, volt, gas, engine temp, and oil pressure doesnt come on any 1 had this problem or know what it is. please help :smile:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Probably is the fuse.. most likely the racing put enough force to get some wires to move and short or something. Then again, I would think that the dummy lights are on the same fuse as the gauge lights.

It's probably worth checking the 3 gauge bulbs if the fuse is fine. It seems that the mr2 has the bulbs in parallel, but I'm not too sure on that one. My '86 truck had them in series (one dead bulb = no light at all).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
your car is old :) connections become loose, this happens quite often.

Remove the upper dash. (the part over the gauge cluster). CAREFULLY. the tabs are very easily broken. and then just jiggle the wires around.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
yeah i had this problem a while back.. my head lights would flicker on and off..(very scary when your behind someone and they think your flashing them) and my dash lights would flicker also.. i went to pick-a-part got another switch.. worked fine!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
^ you can fix these switches on your own...

take out the switch in the dash... you will notice a little rectangular white box with some wires coming out of it (attached to the switch)

take 2 screws out (i think)

and pop open that box... you will find a little circuit board inside... the board most likely has a ton of junk all over it too (where the connectors slide) clean that up....

anyway... if you turn it over you will notice there are solder joints

guarenteed there will be cold solder joints (cracks in the solder)

get some non acidic solder and solder these joints...

put her back together

works like new :)

~mikeym

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
mikeym said:
^ you can fix these switches on your own...

take out the switch in the dash... you will notice a little rectangular white box with some wires coming out of it (attached to the switch)

take 2 screws out (i think)

and pop open that box... you will find a little circuit board inside... the board most likely has a ton of junk all over it too (where the connectors slide) clean that up....

anyway... if you turn it over you will notice there are solder joints

guarenteed there will be cold solder joints (cracks in the solder)

get some non acidic solder and solder these joints...

put her back together

works like new :)

~mikeym
Yep. Worked for mine also. Just needed to re-heat the existing solder on the joints and the lights stop going on/off by themselves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had the same problem with the headlights and the dashboard lights.... all that was needed is to clean the metal connectors so they were free of grease, grime, etc, and bam its just like new... no need for new switch

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was having the same problem with my gf's car and it took me 4 weeks of hairpulling, wrench throwing, test lighting, and cussing to find out. On her rheostat the solder had cracked and broken off so when I tested for continiuity I read an OL, but when I soldered that piece on I had continuity and plugged it back it in. It worked. If you can read a wiring diagram try and find out where it isn't getting it's power and work your way forward to the connectors/ribbon wires on the instrument panel itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts