MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did a turbo swap going from 91na to 93t. so i got a 93+ usdm dash harness to use with my jdm cluster. will that not work? do i need a usdm cluster? also... everything on my na cluster works except the speedo. is there someway to modify my na speedo to work? i know 91-92 had mechanical speedos and 93+ had electronic... just wondering if i can somehow modify my na. thanks!

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,955 Posts
im not sure how compatibule they are but you might be able to find a mech turbo speedo sensor and put it in your tranny and your speedo will work fine. being n/a numbered your speed will be off a bit but will work

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Sweetnutz said:
what is required to put in a mechanical speed sensor? and what is the going rate for one?
50-100$ is the rate for a turbo(91-92) mechanical speedo gear)
To do the swap, there is only one bolt that hold the speedo gear sensor but the rear engine mount needs to be moved to have acces to that bolt. To use a jdm 93+ cluster with a usdm front harness, you will need to swap some wires. If you use a front 93+usdm harness with a 93+ usdm cluster, I guess its just bolt on. The least expensive/trouble free is the speedo gear swap.
hope it helps
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
the 91-92 plugs wont even plug into the 93 cluster. You will need to splice in those 91-92 wires into 93+ gauge cluster plugs. If you splice the wires into the plugs, you only have to run one wire down to the kick panel to get your speedo working. I have done it on a 92 to gen 3T cluster. Good luck installing the dash harness, if you take that route.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,955 Posts
should be

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a 91NA -> 93 JDM Swap on my car and am using the NA Cluster. I want to change to a Turbo Cluster...What would I need to buy? Is there a difference between the 93 US and 93 JDM Cluster? (Besides the MPH/KLHM)

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
eternalxp said:
I have a 91NA -> 93 JDM Swap on my car and am using the NA Cluster. I want to change to a Turbo Cluster...What would I need to buy? Is there a difference between the 93 US and 93 JDM Cluster? (Besides the MPH/KLHM)
yes, gauges are inverted from left to right.

you need a usdm 91-92 tubo cluster

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
eternalxp said:
Thanks...If i Buy the 91-92 Cluster, do I need to buy anything additional? Or would buying a 93 be better?
Are you using the mechanical turbo speedo gear(you said you use your na cluster, so does the speedo work?), if not , then that is what you need.
Chris

·
Registered
801 Posts
my speedometer works. I got it done with my swap...But I want to get the turbo gauge so my RPM gauge will be correct.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mr2driver said:
the 91-92 plugs wont even plug into the 93 cluster. You will need to splice in those 91-92 wires into 93+ gauge cluster plugs. If you splice the wires into the plugs, you only have to run one wire down to the kick panel to get your speedo working. I have done it on a 92 to gen 3T cluster. Good luck installing the dash harness, if you take that route.

this is the route im taking...i need some help tho....i dont kno where to start with the splicing....i have a 91 na with a 3rd gen turbo swap....and i want my new 93+ jdm cluster to work

·
Registered
70 Posts
rascaca said:
50-100$ is the rate for a turbo(91-92) mechanical speedo gear)
To do the swap, there is only one bolt that hold the speedo gear sensor but the rear engine mount needs to be moved to have acces to that bolt. To use a jdm 93+ cluster with a usdm front harness, you will need to swap some wires. If you use a front 93+usdm harness with a 93+ usdm cluster, I guess its just bolt on. The least expensive/trouble free is the speedo gear swap.
hope it helps
Chris

So will the 91-92 mechanical speed sensor fit into the 3rd gen turbo tranny?...I mean...is it plug and play?...cuz I kno my 91 na mechanical sensor was a different size then what the newer electrical tranny needed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
operatiofelatio said:

this might help
EXCELLENT SCHEMATICS. could you help me out with a wiring diagram? i am converting my 91 usdm na cluster, to a jdm trd cluster, it doesn't have the factory boost gauge in it, but neither does mine, only difference is the gauges are on completely opposite sides (including fuel and temp), and the tach is different rpm range (goes to 9 instead of 8), and the speed to goes to 300 km/h....how would i go about wiring these up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.