MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Thanks for the updates! I like how the ridiculousness just keeps increasing.
It really just keeps getting more and more ridiculous huh... i'm trying to manage it a bit better so that it actually finishes one of these days. So far it's just been like... "that could be cool, let's do it!" but man it feels like it just hasn't moved for real for a while.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
transmission is finally done and assembled! peloquin lsd, dodson clutches. Not too exciting to see a pic of it but here it is.

Road surface Grey Asphalt Urban design Wood

Now just waiting on HUX for the adapter plate and axles as well. The exciting thing is we can pretty much mock up the entire engine bay at this point. Assuming the shop is ready for it, anyway...

·
Registered
AW11b - 4AGE - C161 6speed trans
69 Posts
Damn,
I just found out about this project this week. This has been an awesome read with super awesome pics.
This must be the nicest MK2 I've ever seen. I would love to see this car in real life (but living in Europe makes that kind of hard). It's unbelievable how detail oriented you are and how much work went into this. I don't want to be your wallet though 😅 .

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Damn,
I just found out about this project this week. This has been an awesome read with super awesome pics.
This must be the nicest MK2 I've ever seen. I would love to see this car in real life (but living in Europe makes that kind of hard). It's unbelievable how detail oriented you are and how much work went into this. I don't want to be your wallet though 😅 .
Glad you appreciate the thread! Appreciate the kind words, if you ever make your way out to the states, look me up :)

What's scary on how much work went into it (and the wallet comment) is the project isn't even done yet :( like.. it basically has a full build of work to do still... Shop reached out to me to get the car in so based on previous efforts i'd say it might get there by the new year so that's exciting.

bret

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
No actual updates except the shell has finally made its way back to Nixspeed! The biggest holdup is still the adapter for the transmission (i'm sure hux is working on it.. right?), but we're going to move forward on everything else as much as possible.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Plant Car

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Car

Arrived safe and sound! Man i love the RSII.. this might be the first real shot i posted with them. The Works that were in the last pics don't clear the stock 92t calipers, literally couldn't turn the wheels. I'm not giving up on them yet as an option, the rotors will push the caliper out so might still fit without spacers. I have the calipers that i posted about 5 years ago but don't actually have a specific rotor picked out yet.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I also dropped my TOM's car off for some maintenance. they look nice together..
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Hopefully some boring updates to come. Will be working on wiring, frunk stuff, brakes, etc.

bret

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Well after so much lack of progress, i've decided to give up on the project...

...is probably what you expect me to say at this point after 5+ years, right? But nope, we're pushing on, gosh darnit. But with some slight modifications. I'm tired of waiting for Hux, he obviously doesn't care about the 3s platform at this point. Once i get the tubular subframe and tubular control arms that i paid for years ago, i'm pretty done with him.

"So what's next?" you ask? Great question. i'm keeping with the oem+ approach and have decided to build a 2arfe. Same HP goals but this actually will probably be a bit more drivable. I plan to keep the current 3s build if the adapter plate for the transmission ever comes to fruition but it perpetually sitting on an engine stand is nothing new. i'm sure you're asking, why not 2GR? Mostly i just don't love how everything fits. If i would have planned more during the body work, i actually would have stretched the chassis to put in some real displacement but tbh that really wasn't (and isn't) the goal.

So the new plan is to use Engineer Freely's 2gr setup - nicely, the adapter plate and axle setup work almost identically to the 2ar.

The 2arfe is being fully built, mostly with frankenstein motorworks 2ar stuff. I'll be boring it slightly but the final setup will be a 2.7L with a 1ar crank. Pretty similar setup otherwise, billet main, ti retainers, springs, cams, custom valves, custom pistons, rods... i got in on the first 2ar runners and velocity stacks by Marc:
Glasses Vision care Goggles Automotive lighting Grey

Tableware Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Nickel Bumper

Automotive tire Grille Rim Material property Bicycle part

Automotive exterior Grille Rectangle Font Gas

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Rectangle Cosmetics

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

I will be using an electronic wg on this build as well. Slightly larger turbo as well for the higher displacement. Other exciting pics...

Gas Flooring Household supply Tissue paper Wood

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Automotive exterior

Tool Bicycle part Wood Metal Fashion accessory

Grey Wood Gas Rectangle Metal

oh and theoretically i'm keeping a/c on this build ❄. Oh and another set of wheels, of course lol.

bret

·
Registered
AW11b - 4AGE - C161 6speed trans
69 Posts
Well after so much lack of progress, i've decided to give up on the project...

...is probably what you expect me to say at this point after 5+ years, right?
Oh man, that was a smal scare there.

Didn't even know about the 2AR engine as it is non-existant in Belgium where I live., so I looked into it.
It's a more modern engine, sot hat should have to count for something.
I hope you keep having the patience to finish this project!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Just randomly checking in on this site today (haven't been doing much with my car), and nice to see some updates on this build. Good call on theoretically keeping the AC.
Ha funny, i hadn't logged in for quite some time before posting either. Apparently we're on the same calendar... Good to hear from you though, hopefully you're driving it? i haven't driven the 94 in.... well i should probably just sell it.

Oh man, that was a smal scare there.

Didn't even know about the 2AR engine as it is non-existant in Belgium where I live., so I looked into it.
It's a more modern engine, sot hat should have to count for something.
I hope you keep having the patience to finish this project!
Ha sorry about that - trust me, as long as there's blood pumping through my veins and cash in the savings account, this project will move forward :)

I'm surprised the 2AR isn't more popular? Here in the US, it was in pretty much every toyota (and toyota sub brand) for 10+ years. But then again, our motor options always kinda suck and are very limited compared to rest of world. I'm excited for it though, i've got a 2001 Audi with a V6 in it, crazy to think i'll have the same in the upcoming four cylinder.

281 - 295 of 295 Posts