MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Man that thing looks good! Are you leaving the body as-is or painting it? I dont know if I read anything about that. If so, have a color picked out?
Thanks! I don't think i can leave it as is, i actually quite like it but in order for it to look right i'd have to either paint the DTL to make it look like bare metal or remake it in metal and the same thing with the front bumper. Also caring for a bare metal car is not really something i'd be interested in doing even with a clear. Right now i'm leaning towards a darkish silver (similar to the bare metal :)) or matte gray/silver.

Are your front fenders wider than madpsi's fender flares?
much wider. i actually shipped the car out with madpsi flares on the car. i'll see if i can dig up the pics of the test fit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
much wider. i actually shipped the car out with madpsi flares on the car. i'll see if i can dig up the pics of the test fit.
Thanks, that would be much appreciated. I've only seen one mr2 with these fenders and I've looked.

Sorry that the following will be a little off topic but will 17x9 suit the madpsi front fenders? Reason being that te37s don't offer good concave/offset options for anything smaller.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Thanks, that would be much appreciated. I've only seen one mr2 with these fenders and I've looked.

Sorry that the following will be a little off topic but will 17x9 suit the madpsi front fenders? Reason being that te37s don't offer good concave/offset options for anything smaller.
i don't think i have ever actually seen any madpsi flares painted? I'm pretty sure the problem is there's nothing in the rear that goes with them and Pouya never finished his rear kit. Mike Reed (Apex Attack) will likely be running some madpsi flares up front soon that i'll be selling him lol. Follow his blog for eventual updates :)

To try to answer your question, 17x9 will fit just fine it mostly depends on offset and tire size. Here's a couple of what the flares looked mounted as well as oem compared to the madpsi. As you can see, you really only get an inch more of clearance (sorry again... for the rotation of the pics).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 · (Edited)
Here's 17x8+4 with the flares. the third picture is 17x10+24 255/40 with no spacer, i don't think (both pics have the madpsi flares).

The custom flares i had built are running 18x10-10 so that's at least an inch more clearance (to compare the madpsi ones).

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's 17x8+4 with the flares. the third picture is 17x10+24 255/40 with no spacer, i don't think (both pics have the madpsi flares).

The custom flares i had built are running 18x10-10 so that's at least an inch more clearance (to compare the madpsi ones).
Thanks Bret, that was incredibly helpful.
Here are the fenders painted : )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Thanks Bret, that was incredibly helpful.
Here are the fenders painted : )
No problem!

Actually that was the original madpsi car and was around many years before the fenders and duck tail ever made it out to production. Originally MadPSI was an importer and actually made most of it's money bringing in body kits and selling it's border replica hood (and crux lip). That car had some nice authentic pieces on it but the fenders (both front and rear) were custom and one off for that car. When pouya decided to produce the flares, he used the original car to model them after. The produced flares are actually wider than the ones on that car...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 · (Edited)
Been a slow month or two but i took delivery of the rolling shell this morning! Unfortunately Nixspeed is not quite ready to work on the project so the car is now in my garage (sorry, wife's RSX). Not that i mind getting to see it whenever i want in person in the short term...

Got delivered on the largest truck i've seen honestly. i even sat in the car as we rolled it off the truck. Nicely that meant i didn't have to push it :grin2:

Had to head into work so didn't really get to spend much time with it this time around.

I call the garage shot "94, meet your slightly older, slightly fatter brother, 92." :)

The RS4 'widebody' compared to the MR2 widebody as well lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
haven't had a chance to do much although i spent some time removing the stock bumper so i can start test fitting the potential fronts. Even with the twosrus fog light bolts, they were still a bear to remove. Especially because all i had was my little allen wrench. About 45 minutes later of less than half turns at a time, i got both fogs off only to discover a stripped bolt under the headlight cover. All in all, i think i spent an hour and a half just getting the fogs off and the bolts that bolt the bumper to the front body.

After that point i only got the TOMs bumper "mounted". Had to take the headlights out of alignment too so right now it looks like a transformer beginning to transform lol but i think it could work really nicely! The only line i don't live is the same line i don't love on the standard TOMs kit, how far the bumper comes out behind the turn signals. From the front and 3/4s, i feel like it's got lots of potential. i'll have to grab a shot of it from the rear/top. i'm not sure what to do with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
here's the line i have no idea what to do with the TOMs bumper - it's the same as stock but for some reason seems to really make it look funny on the wide body. Of course it's not fully mounted but still...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I felt the same way when I had the Toms front bumper on my flared MR2. I took it off because it looks too short leave a big gap between the ground and the bottom of the bumper. I ended up putting the stock on back on and added a lip.

241 - 260 of 295 Posts