MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Lime-Light said:
because if you look at the stock headlight rod..
its not adjustable..
its just 1 piece..
the only way you would be able to make it smaller is by cutting it into 2 piece's

well ya u can do that i saw that u updated ur post
but then you wouldnt be able to go back to stock if u ever wanted to..
honestly i really wouldnt know now much you would need to cut off the oem one..

i can try and compare the ones i have on and lyk.

·
Registered
609 Posts
drftxdori said:
because if you look at the stock headlight rod..
its not adjustable..
its just 1 piece..
the only way you would be able to make it smaller is by cutting it into 2 piece's and taping? it back together

Yeah I'm going to cut a section out of the center and bolt it back together with some outer or inner tubing. Or simply cut off the end, drill and new hole in the rod. I just need some idea of how long it should be, do you know how long your rods are?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
brokendan said:
x2. i like that set up. my only problem would be come inspection time I'd have to have high beams. how did you modify the 550s?
well since these are foglight housings...

i just pulled out the little foglight plate.. inside the housing..

bent a couple of clips
and it was just enough clearance to fit the bulb.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i should just make some extra rods and sell them since people want to do this kit =p

does anyone know how to remove the glass from the housing without breaking/cracking it?

i wanna retrofit in some suzuki projectrs off a bike.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
Could I just buy some extra headlight motors/housings, and experiment with them off the car?

I haven't looked at it yet.. but couldn't you cut the rods in half, and put a piece of allthread in between so that they would be adjustable.. And, just use set screws to hold each end in place.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
tksmr2 said:
Could I just buy some extra headlight motors/housings, and experiment with them off the car?

I haven't looked at it yet.. but couldn't you cut the rods in half, and put a piece of allthread in between so that they would be adjustable.. And, just use set screws to hold each end in place.
maybe but anyone know wat the inside of the stock headlight rod looks like?
is it hollow?
solid?
haha

idunno i like my kit and i saved the stock rods just incase i ever want to go back to stock

my kits plug and play..

·
Registered
609 Posts
They appear to be hollow. I bought a second set of stock housings to experiment with.

brokendan said:
im not sure about taking the glass part off. i think people cut out a hole in the back and then seal that off.

Link? I searched and didn't find it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
saw it on google. couldnt find it in here though i could SWEAR i saw it here before. one prson put 9005&9006 bulbs in some for his camaro. ill have to find the links when i get home. on my cell at work typing this.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Just an insite for those wanting to make shorter rods (although there is more then just shorter rods needed for the headlights to open and close properly) hit up a local junk yard (or order new from toyota) the rods from a MKIII Supra (86 -92)...

They use the same ball ended and are a threaded rod that links the two nylon ends together...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
brokendan said:
saw it on google. couldnt find it in here though i could SWEAR i saw it here before. one prson put 9005&9006 bulbs in some for his camaro. ill have to find the links when i get home. on my cell at work typing this.
Its been done tons of times both on the camaro's, and many other GM vehicles. There is a company that makes housing for the same conversion (thus the bulbs twist in, no need to be siliconed in like most do), just I dont remember where I saw them..

·
Registered
589 Posts
CJMR2T said:
Its been done tons of times both on the camaro's, and many other GM vehicles. There is a company that makes housing for the same conversion (thus the bulbs twist in, no need to be siliconed in like most do), just I dont remember where I saw them..
same here. i KNOW ive seen them else where. meh, oh well lol. i guess aside from attempting to heat them in the oven for an extended period of time, dremeling out the back to place the projector in is the only way i can figure.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
drftxdori said:
i bought the housings from a friend ..
and i made the healight rods myself =)

haha

Drftxdori.. do you have a problem with the drivers side headlight not rising quite as much as the pass. side? It looks like you may.. but I can't quite tell from the pic.

If so... would the way to fix this be to make the rods a slightly different length from one side to the other?

I guess I"ll just have to buy a set of used headlight motors/buckets.. and mess around with them.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
tksmr2 said:
Drftxdori.. do you have a problem with the drivers side headlight not rising quite as much as the pass. side? It looks like you may.. but I can't quite tell from the pic.

If so... would the way to fix this be to make the rods a slightly different length from one side to the other?

I guess I"ll just have to buy a set of used headlight motors/buckets.. and mess around with them.
no the lights go up the same legth

the reason why the passanger side looks to be up more is because that light is pointing straight and the driver side isnt

the driver side light points a little bit down ..
i just need to remount/adjust that light, the rods are the same legth and the head lights go up the same legth..

i wouldnt recommend you spending that extra money

the light "bucket" is easy to remove and mounting it isnt that hard..

just need to make it stable.. as mine isnt
its on with zip ties on 1 side and a screw on the other.

61 - 80 of 171 Posts