MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Curious- Red LED light on Shifter panel

365 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MISTER2 
#1 ·
Today I replaced the old shift boot with a nice leather one. When removing the old one, I found inside the shifter bay a pair of thin wires with a red LED light- and then of course noticed the little hole in the Plastic piece where the light was supposed to be. It had a bunch of electrical tape on it -like someone tried to mount the light by taping it in place, but it didnt hold.

Anyone know what this LED is for? I thought maybe for the alarm, but the LED never turned on (although the original owner installed a Viper alarm and it has its own red light, so maybe it was for the "Original" alarm?)

By the way - if anyone has the original cheap-o shift boot that is worn and ripped like mine was, the real leather ones look absolutely great and are pretty easy to install - just need some contact cement and 15 minutes of free time! Improves interior look 100%!

#2 ·
...could be for anything...TVIS activation light, alarm, Dilythium crystal depletion light (hehe)...

You're prob. right about the alarm, tho...

...trace that sucker out and post more info!

I'm on my 3rd shift boot...OEM- Manjit boot- Leatherseats 2 tone yesterday!

I agree on this being a great interior upgrade!

Scott

#3 ·
JimfromSC said:
I found inside the shifter bay a pair of thin wires with a red LED light- and then of course noticed the little hole in the Plastic piece where the light was supposed to be.

(although the original owner installed a Viper alarm and it has its own red light, so maybe it was for the "Original" alarm?)
It would be from the aftermarket alarm...they all come with a red LED...most people don't install them...or have the light up by the a-pillar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.