MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the price on the ct27 makes it a very tempting upgrade. i think it's 1400 for turbo, rom tune, and modified fpr. i've read the good reviews online, but just wanted other people's opinions on if this will be the right turbo for me. i would especially like to hear more from those who have been running the turbo on their car.

if i were to get the ct27, the mods on my car would include...

ct27 + everything in the 1400 package
apexi intake
gpsports exhaust
mbc
vpc (maybe) i remember reading in one of the post while i was researching these turbos that the afm made a negligible amount of difference, 1-2whp.
3in downpipe
550 injectors
im looking to get into the "well tuned 275-285whp" range, since most people suggest that it should be enough to satisfy most drivers. my car will also be driven daily so i don't want to have to use alot of boost to make the power, which i wouldn't really be able to since i only have access to 91 octane.

would i be better off with a t3/t4 kit or maybe the td05 20g instead? i ran into some locally who purchased a ct27 (turbo only i think) who said that they didn't really feel that much of a change. perhaps it's because it's was just a turbo swap without the rom tune.

between the three turbos listed, which one would offer more punch or have more usable power on a daily driven mr2?

thanks
-tj

what else would i need to get me too 275-285 whp?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
For your goals(275) the CT27 fits the bill. Both the TD05 20G and t3/t4 are 325+ rwhp and not as well suited for your needs IMHO. You will see a 25-30 rwhp difference from a ct26 @15 psi vs ct27 at the same level. The ct27+tuned rom is a great viable solution for a moderately stock street car thats fun to drive and decent power.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thrillseeker197 said:
For your goals(275) the CT27 fits the bill. Both the TD05 20G and t3/t4 are 325+ rwhp and not as well suited for your needs IMHO. You will see a 25-30 rwhp difference from a ct26 @15 psi vs ct27 at the same level. The ct27+tuned rom is a great viable solution for a moderately stock street car thats fun to drive and decent power.
Are the TD05/06 "lame" or somehow less drivable at lower boost/hp levels?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
That is a very subjective term. However, I don't think the TD06 don't really start to shine till 17 + psi which would require 550cc's/min or higher.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thrillseeker197 said:
while researching the turbos, i was looking at the dyno sheets and saw that alot of them were making close to my goals or more with more estensive modifying then what i plan for my car.

take for instance the thread entitled "why am i not making more power" or something like that... he has the td05 20g, i think, and is only making 274 on similar or more mods then i plan on having and that turbo is rated at producing more power the nthe ct27.

and after thinking about it, i really don't mind a little turbo lag, since when i will be driving agressively or drag racing at the track, i'll be in boost most of the time anyways... plus i remember seeing a dyno graph of an insanely steep power curve... looked like fun =)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yup i'm sure he is on stock 440cc injectors too. I wouldn't even consider a TD05 personally unless it was a 16G variant. Read alot of the turbo basics and VE related mods, picking the right turbo, etc. RickyB, Bruce H and numerous others can state it better than I can. aim me if you want to talk more(Nism091ser).

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Here is a dyno of a ct27 with very similar mods to yours maxed out on race gas at 22psi

slightly more consrevative 20 psi run

car at 17 psi on pump gas made around 280. I don't have a graph for that.
Here are the details
Stock 72k mile 91 USDM motor, ATS fuel rail and FPR upgrade, ATS ROM Tune, ATS CT27, Tanabe exhaust, VPC, cone filter, Walbro Fuel pump, stock 440 injectors, 3 inch stainless downpipe, ballspring boost controller, and an EGR block
Since then I have added a Berk IC and and EBC. I will probably tune again in a week or so to play with some parameters and to see what the Berk is doing for me.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
im going for the same power goal as you and the ats ct-27 is what im am going to use. It seems like a great kit for an awesome price, so i am definetly not looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
mr2by4 said:
Here is a dyno of a ct27 with very similar mods to yours maxed out on race gas at 22psi

slightly more consrevative 20 psi run

car at 17 psi on pump gas made around 280. I don't have a graph for that.
Here are the details
Stock 72k mile 91 USDM motor, ATS fuel rail and FPR upgrade, ATS ROM Tune, ATS CT27, Tanabe exhaust, VPC, cone filter, Walbro Fuel pump, stock 440 injectors, 3 inch stainless downpipe, ballspring boost controller, and an EGR block
Since then I have added a Berk IC and and EBC. I will probably tune again in a week or so to play with some parameters and to see what the Berk is doing for me.

when you say pump gas, i assum you mean 93 octane right? i only have access to 91 octane. but those number looks very impresive! but im not sure if i'll be able to run 17 psi on 91 octane which will probably leave me short of my power goal.

and i do plan on running 550 injectors...

-tj

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I think that my brother, who has similar mods to you and I, but no VPC and stock primary cat in place made 262 on his "track" setting. This is similar to a 91 octane tune. It is designed to give him a lot of cushion for running the car at high speed lapping events for 15-20 minutes at a time in the Texas heat. So timing and fuel are adjusted.
With your mods and 550s I would expect that ATS could get 270 out of your car with the ct27 550cc value meal. The dual map feature of the rom tune is very cool. My daily 17 psi tune is for 93 and I can hit the high boost button on my ebc, flip my ecu selector switch and, provided I have the octane to back it up, put down 320 to the wheels.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
From all indications the CT27 ROM tune package without the VPC should get you at or very close to what you are looking for. In fact, I'm so interested in verifying that I am correct about this that if you get the package and install it on your car, I'll be happy to do a free dyno evaluation of the CT27 ROM tune setup if you are the first to come to the Turbohoses shop in Livermore with this setup. You'll get to find out how much power you are really making after your mods and the rest of the MR2 community will get a third party evaluation of this popular setup.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
RickyB said:
From all indications the CT27 ROM tune package without the VPC should get you at or very close to what you are looking for. In fact, I'm so interested in verifying that I am correct about this that if you get the package and install it on your car, I'll be happy to do a free dyno evaluation of the CT27 ROM tune setup if you are the first to come to the Turbohoses shop in Livermore with this setup. You'll get to find out how much power you are really making after your mods and the rest of the MR2 community will get a third party evaluation of this popular setup.

that is a great offer, but had i not talked to sayeed last night, i would have gone off and ordered it. it has come to my attention that su, first4ag, has devoloped a td05 18g turbo. i've seen the pictures he has of it mounted on his engine and since he just opened his shop 5 minutes away from me, im going to go with that kit.

but im sure that su would love to have his new turbo kit dynoed :smile: sayeed said that 1 kit was already finished, but i have not yet verified this with su, so the kit may not even be close to completion yet, but hopefully i will find out tommorrow since i will be dropping of my car at his shop for other work.

-tj

btw, rickyb, what is your stance on getting rid of the afm? in one of the post i read, they said that they installed the afm, but had the vpc hooked up. so basically the afm was there to test how restrictive it was. the results were 1-2 whp, so they concluded that difference was so little that other factors such as temp. was able to change the results.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
icup said:
btw, rickyb, what is your stance on getting rid of the afm? in one of the post i read, they said that they installed the afm, but had the vpc hooked up. so basically the afm was there to test how restrictive it was. the results were 1-2 whp, so they concluded that difference was so little that other factors such as temp. was able to change the results.
The VPC is not a great way to get rid of the AFM. Most folks run into idle issues and other problems with it. For the extra few horsepower that it may give you, it is not worth the cost, the installation and the other headaches associated with it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
hmmmm rickie, i live about 1 hour north of livermore, i might have to stop by when i finish my ct27 project.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
RickyB said:
is the same offer open to the big ats td05 package?

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Ghettoraid said:
is the same offer open to the big ats td05 package?
Only if you are the first and the setup includes the ATS ROM tune designed to work with the turbo kit you have.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
RickyB said:
Only if you are the first and the setup includes the ATS ROM tune designed to work with the turbo kit you have.
yeah im not gonna have it for several months so it wont be me... I am curious to see a 3rd party dyno though

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
while you're in this thread rickyb, do you hav experience tuning tec II's?

-tj

1 - 20 of 26 Posts