MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used ct26 on here that supposedly was rebuilt and had 8k miles on it after the rebuild. The turbo looks clean and i dont see any signs of oil leaks anywhere. I noticed it has the more or the same amount of shaftplay that old turbo has which is a red flag to me. BTW, im replacing the stock turbo because its oil seal was blown and was leaking out oil everywhere.

Also, I noticed the retaining "nut" on my old stock turbo tightened down more than my "rebuilt" turbo. If you look closely you can see there are more threads visible on the old turbo than on the new turbo. The new one has about 1 thread extending out from the nut where as the old one has many. Could this be a sign that it was rebuilt or taken apart?

Note: Intake compressor wheel looks dirty, but its actually clean

Video Link:
http://media.putfile.com/Ct26-Shaftplay

Intake compressor wheel retaining nut pictures:
---new turbo

---old turbo

---side by side

Turbo experts only reply please.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I am not sure what qualifies as an expert, but I will offer my understanding. If they both have the same shaft play, then the one you bought will most likely give you the same results. If the turbine seal is not sealing, it is probably due to shaft wear, or an oil coked seal caused most likely by engine conditions.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Shaft play isn't a great indicatior of weather or not its going to leak oil. And the nut appears to be farter out because it isn't the stock nut, its thicker, and was put on when rebuilt. See if the wheels rubs on the housing when pushed sideways and spun, if not, Id give it a shot.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mr2matt said:
Shaft play isn't a great indicatior of weather or not its going to leak oil. And the nut appears to be farter out because it isn't the stock nut, its thicker, and was put on when rebuilt. See if the wheels rubs on the housing when pushed sideways and spun, if not, Id give it a shot.

Your absolutely right! The new turbo's retaining nut is thicker and wider at the bottom (washer style). It doesnt seem like the wheel doesnt rubs, but it needs more pressure to turn when i push it to the side towards the intake housing.. red flag? The edges of the wheel fin seem to be in good shape...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ramicio said:
of course it's harder to turn when you push to one side..you are creating friction by the shaft contacting the bearings, and there is no oil in the thing.

LOL its pretty obvious i dont know the insides of turbos so its a good thing im getting good feedback. I was just suprised at how much shaft play there was on a supposed rebuilt turbo. I dont see any signs of the wheels scraping anything so im gonna throw it in.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
yeah, and you will feel shaft play like that without any oil in there too. when oil is running through the turbo, the shaft floats on a film of oil. the shaft and bearings should never ever touch when the turbo is operating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts