MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a large topic about this and I know both turbo's have their pros and cons, but for me I have to take money in the equation.

I`m located in Europe and the choice of shops here is utter crap so I have to import everything and deal with giant amounts of shipping costs

CT27:
$1050 + shipping and handling, should come near the $1500,00
(sending a replacement core isn't an option because of the shippingcosts)

CT20b
$500,00 (from the UK) + shipping and handling, should come near the $800,00

My plans are to get one of these turbo's, a Apexi Power-fc, greddy ic and some 550cc injectors.

Will the extra $700,00 be worth it?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Do you have a reliable source for a CT20 in perfect condition...or might you pay half the cost of a CT27 and end up with a half worn turbo...or worse?

Bruce

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'd say it's not worth the extra cash. The CT27 was designed to be a cheaper, more reliable alternative to the CT20b with similar power potential. If the CT27 were twice the cost of a CT20b, no one here in the States would buy it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Forget about the ct27 if it's going to cost you that much. The ct20 is just as good and will save you $700! That $700 saved can go towards your intercooler.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
cacasesi said:
I'd say it's not worth the extra cash. The CT27 was designed to be a cheaper, more reliable alternative to the CT20b with similar power potential. If the CT27 were twice the cost of a CT20b, no one here in the States would buy it.
You're half right....the goal of the CT27 was not to be cheaper than a ct20b for initial investement. After 2-3 turbo rebuilds (which most of us have to go thru on the 20b, its NOT reliable) it might end up being cheaper. You can also factor in hte cost of a warranty, many 20bs show up already junked. In the states the 27 costs about 1/3 more than a 20b.

Also keep in mind you can search the FS board and pick up a CT26 in bad condition for pretty cheap, and have them send that in for a core. You don't (nor should you) have to send one all the way over here ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the replies.

Justin, in the states there is a saturated market, there are a hell of a lot of options for you guys. And everything you guys can buy we can offcourse also buy, but most times for atleast 50% more then you guys pay :(

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
i'd get a 20b from jebsleo on here. he has a warranty and is a reputable vendor. he should chime in or you should contact him.

oh, manny. that car is sweet. is it awd or fwd? i'd like to have a gt4 version instead of the all-trac, but the US doesn't get some of the jdm cool rides. could the japanese people get vettes, srt-4's, or vipers? just wondering.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mr_two the ct20b from jebsleo gets me the same problems, the huge shipping costs.
I'll just get one from the UK where they seem to have lots of them.

And why do japanese people want those cars, they suck :D

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ if you can find a GOOD condition ct20b from a reputable person there, then i'd say go for that. if not, then do what justin said and buy a ct26 from the states and just have them ship it to aaron.

iirc, aaron posted himself, that a GOOD and HEALTHY ct20b will produce very similar results as a ct27. i might take some time out later to try and search for that thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts