MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing this turbo and was wondering what the thoughts were on the different trim chocies for racing applications. Obviously, the 50 trim will net more top end, but will that lead to any boost creep and increased turbo/engine temperatures? I want to build an engine that gives me as little trouble as possible on the track, and if the 46 is better for reliability than I'll take the marginal loss in potential top end.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, i am purchasing the same kit this week and this is what i decided.

A 50 trim will flow more at the cost of some lag. If i were to use this as a street turbo or lets say autox, or drifting, i would go for the 46 since this is more than likely were you would need the power.

If you were gunna be racing jets down the air strip i would go for the 50 trim.

I would think it would also depend on your level of mods. My internals are stock so i think the 46 will offer enough flow to keep boost were i want.

If you had cams or items like that i would go for the 50. Really all in what you want to accomplish.

So i chose the 46 because i want power now, not later!!!!

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
depends on the track.....are you talking about a road course? autocross? drag strip? cause i'd pick the 50 trim for all!!!! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The CT27 won't flow more than a 46 trim can push, so I don't know why anyone would get a 50 trim and put up with unnecessary extra lag. But perhaps Kblake or Aaron can explain any benefits to a 50 trim comp.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
in general terms... even if you cant use the max compressor's flow, it will still tend to be more efficient within the turbo's capabilities.

Eg.. the 50 trim may make the same power with a little less boost... or may create less heat... etc

-Tristan

·
Registered
91 Posts
stilesg57 said:
The CT27 won't flow more than a 46 trim can push, so I don't know why anyone would get a 50 trim and put up with unnecessary extra lag. But perhaps Kblake or Aaron can explain any benefits to a 50 trim comp.

this is pretty much what Aaron told me when I ordered my CT27 kit. Having it installed, it pulls like crazy, very fast response, and makes boost well past redline.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boyracer420 said:
this is pretty much what Aaron told me when I ordered my CT27 kit. Having it installed, it pulls like crazy, very fast response, and makes boost well past redline.
One other question, if I get the 46 trim, I'm able to use the stock ECU correct? What additional components are necessary for this turbo upgrade? Fuel controller, etc???

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
flupstar said:
in general terms... even if you cant use the max compressor's flow, it will still tend to be more efficient within the turbo's capabilities.

Eg.. the 50 trim may make the same power with a little less boost... or may create less heat... etc

-Tristan
This would make the 50 trim the better choice for road racing. The bigger trim will lead to lower temperatures (at the same HP) and therefore more reliability. If you are worried about boost creep, get the wastegate ported.

Also my 50 trim CT27 with 3" DP spools faster ([email protected]) than my stock CT26 with stock DP and cats. I don't really see a need to spool any faster than that by getting a 46 trim.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
trahsub said:
One other question, if I get the 46 trim, I'm able to use the stock ECU correct? What additional components are necessary for this turbo upgrade? Fuel controller, etc???
With either trim, if you stay under ~275whp you can use the stock ECU with stock fuel components. If you plan on making a lot more power than that, you will have to upgrade your fuel system, which will require you to get a fuel computer or preferably a stand alone EMS.

-Scott

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sab0276 said:
With either trim, if you stay under ~275whp you can use the stock ECU with stock fuel components. If you plan on making a lot more power than that, you will have to upgrade your fuel system, which will require you to get a fuel computer or preferably a stand alone EMS.

-Scott
Interesting, so staying under 275 a fuel computer isn't even necessary? How is tuning achieved after the new turbo is installed?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
trahsub said:
Interesting, so staying under 275 a fuel computer isn't even necessary? How is tuning achieved after the new turbo is installed?
275 on stock fuel is only a general approximation and not a hard and fast rule. This is probably more on the optimistic side and would naturally apply only to engines in perfect working conditions with good gas, injectors, pump, filter, regulator, etc, etc, operating under normal conditions. Road racing is anything but normal and the conditions of your engine components are unknown. Be sure to at least check your car for power level and air/fuel ratio on a dyno and even then keep the boost down on the track to match your level of tuning and supporting mods (ie intercooler upgrade?). Consider race gas and /or water injection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts