MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Crank Pulley

1K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Presure2 
#1 ·
I know about using the starter to break off the pulley nut but what can I use when the motor is out of the car?

#3 ·
I use a decent impact gun, snap on, mac, matco. Im sure a craftsmen one would work also if it was a higher line gun.

#4 ·
When I removed mine my motor was on a stand and I locked the flywheel and also put a jackstand under the crank pulley. This kept the crank from turning and the motor from moving down when I put force on the nut. Also plan on having a pulley puller to remove pulley from crankshaft.

#5 ·
my standard 1/2" 90psi craftsman impact gun couldn't even touch the crank bolt after I had the engine out. You'll need something more substantial in terms of a gun to break it loose usually.

Since I was pulling the tranny and flywheel off anyway to replace the crank seal I just drilled two holes in a piece of steel plate, bolted it back to the crank where the flywheel mounts and used it as a lever when cranking the pulley bolt out with a 3/4" breaker bar and extension.

#6 ·
jagibbs: How many ft lbs of torque does that gun put out? I see a 90psi gun on craftsman's website that puts out 350ft lbs which should be more than enough.

^Trickster^, 93TurboDeuce: How much torque do the impact guns that you use put out?

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not sure but it's probably the one. I suspect that it does not put out as much torque in reverse than the max setting in drive (just from using it a whole lot I gathered this). It can barely loosen my strut pinch bolts torqued to 188 ft-lb.

EDIT: it looks like I have the 500 ft-lb gun. Sears item #00918852000 Mfr. model #18852. If I was going to buy another one, I'd spluge a little more and get something a little more heavy duty.

#10 ·
i think mine is like 400 or so, took it off fine, but i use 120 psi tank

#15 ·
Ok... I had to work with wood unfortunately. I had doubts about it holding together but I ended up snapping the drill bits first. I then used some tight fit screws. Same story. I think I'm going to have to spend some money on a puller or rent an impact gun.

#17 ·
The first time i removed my gen 2 one was the most difficult, i hate to take the engine to my mates garage and use his impact drill and compressor as mine wouldnt undo it for the world, his big one is around 1000ft/lb and we had it on and off waiting for the compressor to charge for about 10 minutes!

Graeme

#22 ·
if you rounded a 19 mm bolt thats pretty impressive. But anyway are you sure the bolt isnt an 18mm? thier is no way a 19mm is going to round out unless you used the wrong size, if this is the case snap-on and im sure others make these sockets with reveresed threads inside. Buy the right size or the next size up and hammer it on thier. Then use the impact again. Just make sure you buy a 1/2 inch socket if your using a 1/2 inch impact.

#23 ·
I'm guessing the impact socket wasn't make in the USA??? NEVER use anything not made in the USA for tools or it will break sooner or later, usually sooner.

I remember that my crank pulley bolt was starting to round a bit over the years...who know what the PO's did with it. I opted to put a brand new crank pulley bolt back in though. It is 19mm.

Part number 9010514011 for my 91T.

#24 ·
If it is a 19, are you using a 12 point or a 6 point?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.