MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i put this here because even though my car is mkI turbo, i don't believe my problems are specific to the car therefore anyone would be able to help.

the car cranks and sputters sometimes when trying to fire it up but rarely starts. last night as i was driving home it died on me. i was cruising down the highway, 2500rpms, then all of a sudden rpms drop to 2000. i hold the clutch down and try to rev it up but it just kinda sat there then stalled completely.

when i try to start it, it cranks somewhat slowly and sometimes sputters but it won't kick over unless i'm 'lucky'. if i put it on a jump it cranks alot faster and will eventually start up but still ends up dying as far as i know. it's only died once on me while driving (for this reason anyway).

my theory was alternator. i talked to my dad who said if it cranks it's not that. he's saying fuel pump. told me to disconnect a plug wire and put a screwdriver in it and crank it to see if i'm getting spark (WTF). if it sparks then it's the fuel pump..

as far as the fuel pump goes, would it be working better on a jump cause it's an electrical fuel pump? this didn't make sense to me cause the only difference would be in the situation of a jump i'm connected to an alternator which seems to fix the problem meaning i need an alt..

anyone know what this is?

EDIT: some background. since last summer the car has had a bad hesitation. anytime it was under load it would stumble and jerk profusely usually throwing me forward. i ruled out turbo because under half throttle the turbo spools and it wouldn't stumble. i can make boost without the stumble but any time i got WOT it does this..

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
There are trouble shooting procedures (and a procedure for checking the FP) here:

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb.htm

BTW, most problems on modern ECU controlled engines result from faulty input sensors.

EDIT: I just noticed where your at! Try a can of fuel line antifreeze before you do anything else. Your sumptoms really sounds like water/ice in the fuel line, a very common problem up there in the frozen wasteland.

bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts