MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Everything I read or watched said that valve clearance will decrease over time. So, I used the most "open" valve clearance. Instead of using the middle valve clearance, I used the BGB number for the greatest clearance.

Let's take the intake for example. The BGB (page EM-7) uses a formula of N=T+[A-0.20mm]. T is the thickness of the shim used. A is the valve clearance measured. N is the thickness of the shim new (needed). But, the intake valve clearance can be from 0.15 to 0.25mm. I simply substituted 0.25mm instead of the 0.20mm (average).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I got everything put back together. Long story short, it's purring like a kitten! I have to fix an oil leak, but she's running, and sounds so nice.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Oil leak was an oil cooler line. Fortunately, I have a spare and it is actually in much better condition. Waiting on my son to get home so that I can verify it is not leaking anymore. Then, I am going to adjust the timing and the idle. Then, I am on the road to break in the motor. I am so excited!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I have to replace the alternator, lol. Mine decided till this moment to take a dump. I took it out, took off the cover, and it was plain nasty inside. I haven't replaced it in decades. So, it was on it's way out. Better now than later when I might be on the road.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts