MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my MR2 running after several mods. and I am having two strange sounds. a loud whistling sound when boosting above 1 psi, and kind of chattering sound while reving but then goes away after a little while.

Would be nice to let some other MR2 guys hear this, and help me diagnose the problem.

I'm in Beaufort South Carolina. Also anyone know of any MR2 specific performance shops around close.

thanks

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Harry and Mindy (828)254-7297
Not sure where Beaufort is, but we are in Asheville, NC; one hour from Greenville North.
Call anytime after 5:30pm M-F

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beaufort is all the way at the most southern tip of SC. Pretty much Savannah GA. Thanks for the invite, we'll have to get together sometime. Oh and i did find out the whistling problem, so now i'm working on the chattering, really seems like an exhaust leak but I can't feel any air when feeling around the manifold. it does go away with about 5 min of driving. but we'll see, going to retighten everything tomorrow.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
1 out of 1 local to you regional members uses the nearest MR2 specific shop to him, which is in Charlotte, and is called "Mitch's." ;)

J/K...you might try to PM Osprey. He's down your way and might have some insight as to a decent garage down there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like maybe an exhaust manifold leak, but I can't hear your car...

Just an idea to think about. That's something that will stop after the exhuast really warms up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm pretty positive it is a exhaust leak, i'm going to be retighting everything tomorrow. hopefully it will fix it.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have a completely stock '91 NA in Beaufort and I just use the local Toyota dealer. However, I would not recommend them to work on a modded turbo. Unfortunately I don't know of any good performance shops around here. The collective wisdom of the Carolina MOC might just be your best hope while you are in Beaufort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts