MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm talking about the large nut that holds the canister in the strut housing..... i have some kyb's that i've been putting of to getting into the car...... today i started on it.... in 3 hours i could only get the front done..... each side... that nut took me about 40+ minutes each to get out..... all i could use was the vice, hammer/flathead (where there's the holes on the side), and channel locks...... my hands are killing me now from slipping screwdrivers and channel locks slamming closed on my fingertips

before i do the rear i'd like to figure out a better way to do this...... i put grease on the new nut before i put it in, but that only helps for later down the line....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I used a pair of channel locks that fit PERFECTLY on the top. All but one were easy. One took my about 15 minutes. Solid vice and a grip of steel finally got it.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
duh......never thought about sticking the top in the vice and a bar in the base. It is so simple now. A level of clarity.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noel Tabor said:
duh......never thought about sticking the top in the vice and a bar in the base. It is so simple now. A level of clarity.
wow, that's pretty stupid of me..... and here i was using the vice to hold the strut in place when i was hitting it madly with a hammer (missing and hitting my thumb a couple times)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^ still.... i used a LOT of PB blaster to get the grit/grime off.... but with the channel locks.... even after heating the strut housing up a bit with a torch.... still didn't want to come apart too easily.... for the rears i'll have to try putting the gland nut into the vice.....

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Um, yeah, torch is probably a bad idea when dealing with a sealed tube of oil and (if aftermarket inserts) compressed nitrogen...

I used a vice and a ridiculously big adjustable wrench I got from my grandfather.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the torch isn't going to have a problem.... worse come to worse some oil might leak and catch fire (if it can)..... but there was a lot of pb blaster on there (yes, flammable) that just smokes a bit...

anyways, i did the rear by putting the gland nut into the vice and using a 3/8" breaker bar in the lower strut bolts..... about 10 seconds of prying on each and they came loose.... MUCH easier

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
clamp the gland nut in a vise.. get some big wrenches (~20mm or so) with box ends and bolt them into the axle carrier.. use the bolted in wrenches to turn the strut case and remove the gland nuts.. works really really easy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts