MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to upgrade your worn out stock wheel? You're in luck because Toyota has an alternative that is OEM. You will just have to track down a few parts to make plug and play.

Parts needed:
3 spoke Toyota steering wheel with same hub as MR2. Notice the flat back with four notches. This is the type of wheel you want. 00s Celica or Matrix wheels won't work.

Cruise control stalk from 01-02 Corolla S or 98-99 Celica if you want cruise. Non cruise cars will need plug with single wire to engage the horn.

The air bag assembly and cover can come from any 3 spoke wheel of similar fashion. The ignitor should be from a car similar to Corolla S to work with harness adapter 09082-00760.

Easiest wheels to swap are 01-02 Corolla s and 98-99 Celica with adapter referenced above. Message me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’ve done this to mine.
I found that to make the newer cruise control stalk work with my older cruise control I had to change the resistor values inside the stalk switch assembly.
Not hard to do - the details are here on MR2OC somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matrix n Celica wheels have a different hub that can be made to fit just like the stock MR2 cruise control stalk but will take some work. Ignitors can be found thru local junkyards or sellers.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Matrix n Celica wheels have a different hub that can be made to fit just like the stock MR2 cruise control stalk but will take some work. Ignitors can be found thru local junkyards or sellers.
So, I'm guessing you want to pair the airbag with the ignitor that was originally designed for it, right? Will the RAV4 ignitor fit properly in an MR2 Celica/Corolla S steering wheel installation? Never having attempted this, I honestly don't know what the ignitor looks like or where it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
  1. Yes, you could use air bag and ignitor from RAV4 with these wheels. Ignitor is the explosive device on front of air bag in this picture

1 - 9 of 9 Posts