MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference in Diameter between the wheels are?

1. MR2 (stock)

2. Corolla S (red stitch)

3. others (etc.)

·
pew! pew!
4,652 Posts
I believe that the 91-93 is 1" wider than the newer ones and a WHOLE lot heavier also. I wanna say it's 15" and the newer are 14" steering wheels. The corolla wheel would fall into the same category as the newer, but even lighter than the 94-95 models.

As far as JDM, same width for the matching years, but weight varies depending on when AB was introduced or not.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
FWIW the 02 Celica GTS wheel I just installed is 14.5" where as the stock 91 wheel is 15" as said. the Celica wheel is way lighter, more than likely just because the airbag is smaller and there is less to it. .

·
Registered
74 Posts
After reading through the topic I decided to buy myself a nice red stitch steering wheel, and update the look of my '91 turbo :cheer2:
The result:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Lyle Beach said:
Does anyone know what the difference in Diameter between the wheels are?

1. MR2 (stock)

2. Corolla S (red stitch)

3. others (etc.)
Here are the sizes of the '93 MR2 wheel to an '01 Celica:

'93 MR2:
Diamater = 14 3/4"
Height off of the Column Trim = 4 1/4"

'01 Celica:
Diamater = 14 1/2"
Height off of the Column Trim = 4 1/2"

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
anbu_yoshi said:
^ yes thats the ab that I had. the adapter plus right in. looks like ur good to go, just order the adapter harness.

remember to unhook the negative on ur battery and note that the alignment of the wheel will be slightly off.
That happens almost any time you change wheels. I've swapped out wheels on other cars before, the exact same car. I swapped out a Grey EG Civic steering wheel and bag for a black one, and that happened: the new wheel was out of alignment.

That tends to happen any time you put a new wheel on, it's not in aglinment. You just need to get the car re-aligned. They center the wheel before doing an alignment, so once you get the car aligned the wheel will be center and the toe will be dead on and centered again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just thought I would add my experience for posterity. I used a 2002 corolla s wheel from a fully optioned car. It had a tilt column...there is a no tilt option..though the junkyard was not clear if that was an s car or not. I reused the mr2 clockspring...the corolla one would not fit due to the placement of the bottom plug. The wheel of course fit perfectly. It even lined up exactly the same as my original wheel. I used the corolla cruise stalk that my wheel came with and it pulgged directly in and works perfectly. The wheel is definately lighter and feels significantly smaller. It also sits slightly closer to me...i almost missed the turn signal stalk the first time I went to use it.

·
Still learning daily.
1,319 Posts
1950884 said:
Has anybody had the unfortunate opportunity to see if this conversion harness works properly?
Yes... the airbag deployed on me exactly as it was designed to during my accident.....

:thumbup ??? I guess???

·
pew! pew!
4,652 Posts
Hey guys. I've had my wheel installed for a while. I including 2 others have tried to get the horn working by tapping where the OEM 91 was. It just gives us a constant ground and in turn a constant activated horn (I'm sure my neighbors were pissed that day).

What did you guys do and where did you wire the horn to? I would assume that it's no different than the OEM MK2 wheel, but then again HONNNNNNNNNNNNK!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I made my own adapter harness from my avalon dash harness. less bulk but it's not reversable.

anbu_yoshi said:
Hey guys. I've had my wheel installed for a while. I including 2 others have tried to get the horn working by tapping where the OEM 91 was. It just gives us a constant ground and in turn a constant activated horn (I'm sure my neighbors were pissed that day).

What did you guys do and where did you wire the horn to? I would assume that it's no different than the OEM MK2 wheel, but then again HONNNNNNNNNNNNK!
i bet your not using the horn harness that came with the wheel and hard grounded (lower) it on the wheel instead of attaching it to the upper portion of the wheel (flat spade connectors)

·
pew! pew!
4,652 Posts
Oteck said:
i bet your not using the horn harness that came with the wheel and hard grounded (lower) it on the wheel instead of attaching it to the upper portion of the wheel (flat spade connectors)
Hmmm. I think you are correct. I ordered the harness from the said link in this thread. I can't recall what the inside looks like or where the horn harness attaches to or came from. Yes I attached it to the upper with the flat spade.

So soder onto the bottom side? I think when Turbro was trying it, he couldn't get the horn to sound when connecting to the bottom portion. I also don't recall a harness coming with the wheel itself. Pretty sure I used the existing MK2 one?

Should this have been something to snatch off the wrecked corolla? Any photos? Thanks

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
ricky91mr2 said:
Yes... the airbag deployed on me exactly as it was designed to during my accident.....

:thumbup ??? I guess???
Thank you for sharing. Sorry you gained that knowledge. But you are back into the MR2 game..yes!!!???

·
Registered
649 Posts
h00ligun said:
Is there another or new part number for the harness adapter?
Why are you asking? Is part number 09082-00760 from the first post in this thread no longer orderable from OTC / SPX?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I called yesterday and I was told that wasn't a good number.

Maybe i just had someone on the phone that didn't know what they were talking about.....

161 - 180 of 211 Posts