MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
h00ligun said:
I called yesterday and I was told that wasn't a good number.

Maybe i just had someone on the phone that didn't know what they were talking about.....
Did anyone else verify if this part is no good now, or if it's still available? If it's no longer available, it's time for plan B ;)

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
eckoman_pdx said:
Did anyone else verify if this part is no good now, or if it's still available? If it's no longer available, it's time for plan B ;)
I still have one brand new in the package. I was going to go the 98 wheel, but ended up going for a Toms instead.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Lyle Beach said:
I still have one brand new in the package. I was going to go the 98 wheel, but ended up going for a Toms instead.
Are you willing to sell it? If so, how much for it?

I have to go to Olympia at some point in the next week or two, so if you are going to be anywhere near there or Kent/Renton/Federal Way I can meet you somewhere there to pick it up also instead of having you ship it. Whatever works. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather talk via PM :)

tksmr2 said:
Good number. I just ordered one around a month to 1.5 months ago..
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow morning! :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For those interested, the adapter is still cheap, and shipping is pretty cheap on it too. It shipped the next business day after I ordered it.

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
If they are still available the only person or place I can think of to contact is Aaron or Tracey at Lithia Toyota (board vendor & their # is in their banner).

I plugged the part # into several Toyota parts places & it came back "part not found". But, it would do that back in 2008, so you had to call to order even back when this thread started.

Also, you don't really need the adapter though. It makes things a lot easier for sure, but if you can get the plug to the wheel you are getting (junk yard), you can splice that plug into the wires for your MR2 & hook it up. In other words cut the plug off that clips into the MR2 air bag & then splice (solder) the new plug (wires from it) onto the wires in the MR2. Plug it in & go.

Also, while the MR2 is turned off, FIRST disconnect the battery, then remove the ECU-B fuse. Wait a few minutes for momentary power to drain off the SRS system & then remove the old wheel & install the new one & do the adapter or re-wiring job, put all back together, put ECU-B fuse back in, then hook the battery back up. This should keep the air bag warning light from coming on. If you get an air bag light, then you need to follow the instructions in the BGB to check the air bag light for a code & if all is good, then you will have to "play the drums" to clear the air bag light or build the Celica tool (link in page 1 of this thread) to clear it.

Hope this helps!

Daniel :thumbup

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
P r a d a-[G] said:
where did you order it from?
Tj_saxon said:
Agreed^ I just ordered a celica steering wheel and need to know where to get this.
Sorry for the extreme delay. I've been prepping for the birth of my son, and that's sucked up all my time.

I ordered it from here: https://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=407&p=173&g=21

You have to call in with the PN and order it on the phone, but the process went smooth and it shipped quick. It literally makes the airbag plug and play with the SW20.

https://toyota.spx.com/contact.aspx

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Oteck said:
I made my own adapter harness from my avalon dash harness. less bulk but it's not reversable.

Oteck (and anyone else who would care to chime in. How did you mount the wheel with this? Seems like it did not fit when i tried to mount it with the yellow and black ring on.

This:

Did not fit with this type of wheel:

Edit: steering wheel has the CC stalk opening on the left side of wheel...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Here's a few pictures of when I installed mine.

The clockspring in place.

The new steering wheel in place with the clockspring.

And the airbag with the adapter installed.

You shouldn't have to remove the clockspring. Are you sure your new steering wheel has an airbag?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
mr2crazed, thank you for the pics. And no my steering wheel did not come with the airbag as i bought it from another member here.

Looks like your steering wheel has a "bigger" opening in back as mines is a solid piece...let me take some more pictures to show the back of my wheel

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
steering wheel backpiece

here it is:

the inside:

Looks like I'm going to have to cut out the circular section in order to have the clock spring fit with my steering wheel...

(don't mind the green hair straightening iron thing-a-majig)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Oteck said:
^ thats a non airbag horn cover... off a jdm or early canadian cars

what are you trying to do because i have no idea
I'm trying to make the steering wheel work with the clockspring. I've started to dremel the backpiece so the cruise control plug can fit. The clockspring is the yellow and black piece as shown on the above picture

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
RSpyder said:
I'm trying to make the steering wheel work with the clockspring. I've started to dremel the backpiece so the cruise control plug can fit. The clockspring is the yellow and black piece as shown on the above picture
If I understand correctly, then you are trying to put a NON Air Bag steering wheel that is made by Toyota on an air bag equipped MR2. Right?

If so, then you will have to dremel that cover plate to make it fit.

Just make sure you follow the directions on the spiral cable to center it & make sure it turns when you turn the steering wheel so your trun signal return function will work.

If you are trying to get a Cruise Control stalk to work from a different type of Toyota car, you may have to check the voltage of the signal from the CC stalk you have to make sure it will work with the wiring & voltage requirments of the MR2. As mentioned in this sticky by Luke_L.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=374762

If the MR2 CC Stalk will fit in that steering wheel, then it should plug right up.
BUT, you stated earlier that the CC hole was on the left side, so that might make the MR2 CC stalk upside down.

Daniel :thumbup

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Ding, ding, DING! mr2boost hit it right on the nose!!!

Yes, you basically summed it up! Thank you for providing the link. Will check back in with you guys for a progress update(pics will be included)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well I just received my parts to do this modification. Wheel was from a Gen 7 Celica, and came complete with the Black/Yellow clock spring part and the airbag.

I am fitting this to a Revision 3 turbo that has never had Airbags of any description, Otek advised me just to unbolt the 4 bolts on the back to remove the charge/bag.

So first question:

How careful do I have to be when removing this part, as basically its an explosive. I realise it shouldn't go off as its not plugged into anything, but you do hear some horror stories, so any handling advice would be good.

2nd Question:

Whats the best way of connecting the steering wheel horn pad to the existing system on the Revision 3. Would rather get the experienced view than make a mess of things.

Many thanks guys

Graeme

181 - 200 of 211 Posts